Stop burning while scroll saw cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use clear packing tape over my patterns to stop the cut burning. I believe it's to do with the release agent on the back of the tape that lubricates the blade.

As per loftyhermes I've seen many sites recommend using sellotape over the pattern.

I tried adding sellotape over my patterns but found it didn't make any difference to the cut and I found the reflection on the sellotape distracting.

That said...

I used to use masking tape on my wood, then glue the pattern to this and have never had any burning so I figured that the glue on the masking tape must be doing the same job.

After advice from other members on the forum, I've switched no to using self-adhesive A4 printable labels. I suppose it is possible that the adhesive on them is also acting as a lubricant.

Regards

Phill

I was also told a number of years ago that the bellows do go some way in helping not just keeping the sawdust away but also aids a little in keeping the blade cooler with the constant jet of air aimed at the blade.

3-6 teeth in the work at any one time, anymore and they get clogged with sawdust, don't cut as efficiently and consequently burn the work.
basically, high TPI (lower blade number) for thin work, moving up to low TPI (higher blade number) for thicker work. so a no. 5 or 7 for most work (1/2" or 10mm) which leaves you with 6 teeth and a reasonable finish, a 12 for thick stuff ( up to an inch) and 2 for thin stuff (5mm or thinner). it's a bit of a trade off though as some times you'll need more teeth in the wood than the blade range can give.

packing tape adhesive as a lube is a bit of a myth (although it seems to work, no really reason it should)

Hi.
Here in Western Australia there is a wood - WA Sheoak that is impossible to cut, with a scrollsaw, and not burn. However using a clear tape - sellotape - there are no burns. I've used the wood.
No isn't a myth, at least here in the underside of the world.

Regards.
Bob H.
p.s. Would be interested to know if the originator of this topic has tried anything.

hawkinob":2o572qqf said:
Hi.
Here in Western Australia there is a wood - WA Sheoak that is impossible to cut, with a scrollsaw, and not burn. However using a clear tape - sellotape - there are no burns. I've used the wood.
No isn't a myth, at least here in the underside of the world.

Regards.
Bob H.
p.s. Would be interested to know if the originator of this topic has tried anything.

Haven't experienced the burn yet!
Brian

Back