Stocking Up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I made a visit to to Atkins and Crippsin Bishop's Stortford, to buy some Iroko.
I am pleased to report that they are indeed very helpful :) .
The lady in the office rang the yard foreman and he directed me to see one of the workers in the yard. He opened a new pallet of Iroko and without prompting sorted out the straightest boards of the size I wanted :D

I still work in feet and inches for most woodworking stuff, and find it very odd how somethings are done :!: The boards are 1 inch thick and the pallet was 8 feet long, but all of the markings and costing is now done in m3 :shock:
My bill shows I bought 0.130 m3 at a total cost of £129.93. This works out to 4.5 ft3 at £28.87 per cube, (I would like to know where Ian Dalzaiel in Good Woodworking bought his 7 ft3 for £130 :twisted: )

I am also pleased that the new company car has proved its self:-
Dscn2095s.jpg
Dscn2097s.jpg

Here it is stacked on the Performance Pro saw, on its rolling trolly (note the dust port):-
Dscn2098s.jpg
Dscn2099s.jpg

The widest board is 12.75 inches the narrowest 5.75.

I am not sure that the chairs will be ready for Christmas, but then I don't think anyone will want to sit on the patio after lunch :wink:

Well everyone's gone metric...... but it's nice to find a yard that still values a customer. After all, 4 1/2 cube is a good sale, especially as you take it with you.

Good job you didn't need to slap the anchors on on the return journey!

I did something similar in a Cortina years ago and popped the windscreen out like cork from a bottle.

I'll second that recommedation for Atkins and Cripps. I have used their branch in Plymouth and it is very good. Like you say they are helpful. And their price for American White Oak was good - less than £20/cubic foot. 5 x 3m lengths 1x8's for £50. Can't complain although am now running out ...
Cheer
Gidon

Latest posts

Back