Stockholm - any one been?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pren

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps.

We've booked a few days stay in Stockholm on a bit of a whim. Just fancied a bit of a break that's something other than the usual bucket and spade affair.

Other than generally wandering around, taking in the city, what else is there to do? I've heard the museum with the over built wooden ship is worth a visit but other than that we're pretty much clueless. I've heard that the place is pretty expensive. Anyone any tips on good places to eat?

Muchos cheers in advance. :D

Sweden? Too many murders and sad detectives according to that documentary series just finished on BBC...oh no, that was Wallender !

I've been many times on business. Super city. Get out on the water as much as you can. Gamla Stan is the old area IIRC.

Make sure you're not there when the womens' marathon is on as hotels get fully booked. As my Swedish counterpart commented when I moaned about the fact that I had to stay miles out of the city centre...."Roger, just get in front of the starting tape just before the off and start running. That will be the only time in your life when you'll have 10,000 women chasing after you."

Have fun.

Have a look at the children's library in the art centre (especially if you have children). Some great woodwork, and a fantastic design for a library. I'd like to build a library like it one day.

Dan

Thanks for that. After all the beach + bar + resort holidays I've had, I've really looking forward to being a bit of a culture vulture. I've been checking out some of the organised tours of the city which would be a good way of getting to know the place. The cycling and boat tours look pretty interesting.

There seems to be so many things that are highly reccomended that it's hard to choose what to do in the 3days i'm there for. The library sounds good, dan, cheers.

I went there a couple of times, many years ago. I was working so didn't have much time to look around but what I did see was very nice. Our hosts treated us to a meal on a boat trip around some of the many islands - that was quite stunning. Yes, it's a bit expensive so best to check on the price before ordering :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi

Went there on our honeymoon in 1972 and spent our wedding money in IKEA. I still have the same wife and much of what we bought in IKEA. Not been back since.

So can't really help except great designers and interesting furniture. Excellent high quality steel producing good tools especially chisels.

Have a great time in the land of middnight sun

Regards
Richard

Back