Stock size for glass panel cabinet doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomashenry

Established Member
Reaction score
Am in the process of making a dresser, the upper part of which will have two glass panel doors. Each door is approx (h x w) 70x40cm. I'm trying to decide what size of stock to use for the frames. Normally for basic frame and panel doors I'd use 60-70mm stock. I'd quite like to use narrower stock if possible, to make it look a bit more refined, and to maximise the glass area.

If I go down to (say) 50mm stock, and join the frame with M&T, then I'd end up with tenons that are only about 2-2.5cm wide, once the glass rebate is taken into account. Would I better off with bridle joints in this case?

More generally, if you are looking to decrease stock width in a frame, is there a rule of thumb for when its better to switch to bridle joints rather than m&t?

What's the minimum width you'd go down to in this scenario, and how would you join the frame?

I have glazed ash bookcase doors around 400 x 1100. simple rail and stile construction. Section 22 x40 with 6mm bevel edge glass. Glued with Everbuild 502. 13 of them in the project. Been built about 3 years no issues whatsoever.

Back