Still got 10 fingers..........JUST (Parental Advisory)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colin - best wishes for a speedy recovery. H&S regs recommend that push sticks are 400mm long. The other thing I always do is never to stand in the 'line of fire' when using a circular saw - Rob

Thanks for the superb reminder and wake-up!!
Haven't seen anything quite like that since I left the fire service. Not sure I want to, now!
Get well soon (and try not to do it again).
Very best wishes.

SF

I hope nobody else has the same misfortune as me however, if you do, I can thoroughly recommend having your arm numbed (nerve block) rather than a general anesthetic - I was home 2 hours after my op and it was very surreal to see the surgeon drilling my finger to put the wires in and stitching the tendons without feeling a thing.

Best wishes Col and hope you recover fully.

really scary as I realise that I do take liberties at times.

And just so I understand these things a bit better I read up a bit more on kickback as I realised that I didn't really understand the mechanics. I came across this article where at the end he demonstrates that the guard and riving knife prevent kickback. Not wishing to embarass you but did you have your guard fitted etc?

roger, thank you for that

until now i had understood the riving knife (kerf blade) had only one function

ie stopping a fore and aft blade jamb

i hadnt noticed the left/right function, i now know why ive not had a severe kickback

BUT it does explain a few imperfect cuts

A quick best wishes for youur recovery, and a very big thankyou for having the courage to post the picture and share it's cause with us. According to accident research, apparently there's about 600 near misses for every actual accident, which should get all of us thinking a bit more carefully.

ivan":8ws3z3mt said:
A quick best wishes for youur recovery, and a very big thankyou for having the courage to post the picture and share it's cause with us. According to accident research, apparently there's about 600 near misses for every actual accident, which should get all of us thinking a bit more carefully.
BLIMEY
:shock: I must be up to about 500 near misses, i better be extra careful, since this thread I have been very, very cautious.

I've never really had a serious accident with machinery, had a few near misses though, one time i had a wrestling match with a 10" angle grinder, i got kickback and it hit me in the stomach drawing in my overalls which luckily stalled the grinder, all wasn't well though as i could not release the switch, again luckily I wasn't working alone.

It just goes to show how easy it is to injure yourself, I always think about the dangers before I do anything.

Back