Stihl cordless

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a Stihl cordless strimmer? Interested in thoughts and opinions.

Alternatives welcome, budget probably max 250. Medium sized garden that I can't get power to all areas easily, looking for decent quality and something that will last. Mainly for tidying edges rather than brush cutting or nettles/docks.

We have one and it's good. I think it is one of their smaller models. Does a decent job and runs for about half an hour, give or take before needing a recharge. Also have a corded Still that was great for our smaller lot. It was bigger and more powerful. Nice thing about the Stihl cordless line is being able to use the same battery for hedge cutters, blower and chainsaw. :) If doing it again I would get the biggest one just to get the matching chainsaw. No real need though as the gas saw is more than good enough and the Husqvarna corded saw will see me to the end.

For the heavier long grass trimming around the perimeter of the 9 acres I have a Makita. Bought it because it is a 4 stroke and I hate having to play with 2 stroke oil mixing.

Pete

I have the Makita DUR 364 (takes 2x 18v batteries). I can't compare it to the competition because I haven't used them, but for me the Makita was the obvious choice as I already have other tools which use the same batteries.

On the low speed setting 4 batteries (2 pairs) can strim about 500 yards of hedges, as well as the paths, walls and raised borders on my garden. Or several hundred sq m of long grass. On high speed setting the strimmer will cut thick nettles, brambles (and the saplings I planted a few weeks earlier) very effectively, though it does drain the batteries sooner.

I've had a stihl petrol strimmer for ages. Last year we splashed out on a battery one - I'll never go back to petrol. We manage with one ap300 on an fsa90 but we may treat ourselves to an extra one. Advantages: quieter, clean air, lighter, cheaper and simpler to run and maintain. Mrs W2S found the petfol one quite hard to use but volunteers to use the new one (unexpected bonus). Cheers W2S

I've had a stihl petrol strimmer for ages. Last year we splashed out on a battery one - I'll never go back to petrol. We manage with one ap300 on an fsa90 but we may treat ourselves to an extra one. Advantages: quieter, clean air, lighter, cheaper and simpler to run and maintain. Mrs W2S found the petfol one quite hard to use but volunteers to use the new one (unexpected bonus). Cheers W2S

I am looking at the FSA 57 I think. there is a promotion on where I can get the machine, charger and 2 batteries for 189 which seems fair. They are the smallest battery and a slow charger, but to be honest if I can get 20 mins from each, I think it will be plenty.

I dislike petrol, because we never seem to have any, there is the hassle of mixing 2 stroke, and when the machines dont start, I dont have the first idea of how to make them start. For some things they make sense but for me personally I avoid unless there is an advantage to them.

I use the pro strimmer with the big batteries. Runs for hours. Brilliant. Gradually changing over to all battery powered Stihl, except for the long hedge trimmers, which are better as petrol.

I know its not what you're asking but just for interest I have a wired stihl strimmer and it is fantastic. Imagine a diy handheld model but it's got some fancy tricks. Does all that's needed. But yeh a battery one would be better. :wink:
Mower btw is a Viking made by stihl.Again. Great kit.

Edit. For hindsight.

The guys that come twice a year to do my garden[Too big for me now] Changed over completely to the Still Cordless range and they both said that it is a game changer for them and that they wished they had had them years ago. Hope that helps Jim.

I've swapped from Stihl petrol to Ego 54V, mower, strimmer, motivator, hedge trimmer. All excellent.

Have one of the larger pro strimmers, regular and long reach hedge cutters and a chain saw. All using the large pro batteries. Been using these for a few years now. Last year bought one of the new mulching lawn mowers - much lighter than my petrol mowers. Very satisfied with all the tools.
Dave

ordered mine from the local place. nearly price matched but need to order it in, so it will be next week when I get it.

Back