Sticky mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit of an oddball question...

Last year I bought an Axminster mitre saw like this one:
http://www.axminster.co.uk//images/prod ... 607_xl.jpg

It hasn't had a lot of use, and it's been idle most of this year but a week ago I used it to put 45-degree mitres on some simple shelves to fit in the corner of an airing cupboard and it did a good, accurate job.

However, the upper rail on the saw (or the metal brace - not sure what you'd call it - seemed to be binding in the hard plastic guides, making it harder work than it ought to be.

The question is, what would be a good lubricant to ease this metal-on-plastic problem? I don't want to make it worse by using something that will gum things up.

Hi Pete
try good old WD40, but first have a good look round to see if there is any amount of dust build up. Clean this off first and give the area a good squirt. I would then wipe off the excess as it may attract dust.

Bean

I've got an old Bessey mitre saw that operates on upright plastic roller guides and the metal saw can sometimes stick on these. Rubbing the sides of the saw with a candle where it is in contact with the plastic guides helps to lubricate it.

Gill

hi, problem with the many cheaper miter saws is that it is difficult to ensure that the top tube stays square to and within the slider blocks.
probably a ptfe spray would be a better idea wd 40 has some value, but a dryer spray would probably be more valuable.

also i would guess temperature changes would have some bearing on this (oops sorry)

paul
may all you shavings be plane ones. :wink:

I have used wd40 for the same problem i had on my old mitre saw. No problem of it rotting the plastic etc. Also any non silicone release spray should do well, can give your blade a spray with it too.

Matt.

Thanks all... I'd never heard of GT85 but a quick Google turned up enough info to convince me it looks like the business. Besides, it's ... British =D>

Back