sticking Formica to a ply wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcarver

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend glue for sticking Formica to a ply wall?
I want to use a glue that will grab like contact adhesive but will allow adjustment.

I’d have thought any glue which goes in a gun, eg No More Nails. I used that to stick mdf wallboard to my hall over anaglypta and it worked a treat. Good grab but easy to make adjustments by sliding.

MikeG.":21k6opvw said:
You definitely want contact adhesive, though, and not No More Nails-type construction adhesives.

Not being contradictive, but why? just interested.

As an addition to the OP, CT1 has many applications.

In my case Mike, the board was supported at the bottom by the skirting and at the top by a dado rail screwed to the wall. Contact adhesive would have been overkill.

mrtree":2j72px6l said:
MikeG.":2j72px6l said:
You definitely want contact adhesive, though, and not No More Nails-type construction adhesives.

Not being contradictive, but why? just interested.

As an addition to the OP, CT1 has many applications.

Because it is too thick. It's designed as a gap-filling adhesive. You end up with ridges of adhesive, rather than a flat bed, leaving hollows behind much of the board/ laminate. This can also mean that getting the Formica properly flat onto the ply is an issue, and it may even leave it more vulnerable to damage. Formica is less than a mm or 2 thick I reckon, so it's not like gluing on a sheet a MDF. Great stuff, No-More-Nails, but only in the right situation.

Fair point indeed.
Of course we have no idea of the size of the formica.
Fixing a piece 2ft squ is a completely different prospect to fitting a piece 14ft x6ft

Usually used evo stick adhesive but you have to be spot on first time one that gives you a little bit of wiggle room was thixofix adhesive but it was years ago I used it so not 100% sure that is the name.
Jim

Latest posts

Back