Sticking door (after settling?) - how to fix?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thyine

Reaction score
We had a loft conversion done 2 years ago.
The builder turned out to be totally unreliable (polite way to say it) - so I wouldn't go back to him even if I could.

I don't know if its normal for this to happen - but the door to the little bathroom no longer closes. Its too 'tight'.
I tried sanding down the edge a little (along the inside edge the door - around the handle/lock.)
But soon realized that the whole thing needs planing back - I think.

Now - because there is a latch set into the door - I'm thinking I need to take it off and plane (sand) down the other side a few mm (where the hinges are attached) and then set/chisel out the hinges again to make them fit.

But I'm wondering if there might be a better/easier way.

Attaching some pix below.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
(apart from get a better builder)
Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20220223_123419310.jpg
    PXL_20220223_123419310.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20220223_123412513.jpg
    PXL_20220223_123412513.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20220223_123400600.jpg
    PXL_20220223_123400600.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 44
Work around the whole 4 edges of the door, closing it on to a bit of card or paper, to identify precisely where it sticks and then remove wood accordingly. Or rehang if there is room on the hinge side to make the closed gap smaller by setting one or both hinges back a touch. Or a bit of both.

If the hinge side, top and slope are ok, you'll have to ease the latch side, otherwise moving the door towards the hinges may open up the gap on the slope. Do you have any woodwork experience or kit?

show me a pic of the gap on the hinge side. leave the latch side. I there's a decent gap. then just sink the hinges deeper( beware this may lead to binding)

If you have a track saw, it is much easier / cleaner than planing sanding. Would taking excess off on the hinge side do the job? Much easier?

Work around the whole 4 edges of the door, closing it on to a bit of card or paper, to identify precisely where it sticks and then remove wood accordingly. Or rehang if there is room on the hinge side to make the closed gap smaller by setting one or both hinges back a touch. Or a bit of both.
After sanding off the little bit near latch pretty much the entire door is now sticking - I cant pull it closed.

If the hinge side, top and slope are ok, you'll have to ease the latch side, otherwise moving the door towards the hinges may open up the gap on the slope. Do you have any woodwork experience or kit?
I also sanded a iit off the top corner (where the door is cut on a slope to fit). Is that what you mean by 'the slope'? It seems the whole latch side is too tight. So opening up a gap on the whole latch side - including the slope - is what I need.

Last edited:
It looks like I would need to take too much off the latch side - and I'm worried that the latch then would not fit. - with the distance between the edge of the door and the handle becoming smaller. I have some experience and some kit.

show me a pic of the gap on the hinge side. leave the latch side. I there's a decent gap. then just sink the hinges deeper( beware this may lead to binding)
Coz I cant actually close the door (have not tried to force it) I can't see (or photograph) what the gap looks like on that side. I think I will try to sink the hinges a bit deeper into the door. Then if I get binding I can plane down that side a bit (as much as I need) to free it again.

It's probably worth checking the lining as well. If they're only nailed on they can warp and twist and bind on the door. A good look and you should be able to see if they have moved then you can persuade it back with a hammer and fix with screws.

Well - I did it!

Just in case anybody is going to read this in future:
I took the door off and carefully chiseled the hinges 2-3mm deeper into the door.
Luckily there was large enough a gap on the hinge side of the door that this did not cause any binding and the door closes perfectly.

I'll attach a couple of pix.
Thanks to everybody for your input and advice.

Attachments

• PXL_20220225_152941912.jpg
    PXL_20220225_152941912.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20220225_122220098.jpg
    PXL_20220225_122220098.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20220225_152935340.jpg
    PXL_20220225_152935340.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back