Steve's workshop - Painting the outside walls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang on Steve, you've got a friend coming to stay???

Tidy the house and then line up the jobs for him in the workshop :lol:

Steve, I've got some Aquamac strip you can have. Also have the spindle moulder cutter for it but bit difficult now you've made your door frame!!

Think I have Aquamac 63 and 21.

Steve Maskery":1um919j0 said:
I've finally thrown of the cloak of lethargy and put on the mantle of let's get on with it.

when I started reading this 2 weeks ago I thought ' sensible Steve, get it all done and dusted before Autumn (hammer) and decided that I wasn't going to start mine until the spring.....

2 weeks later (8 months for you), and I'm both amazed at your perseverance and convinced I'm being a wus not just getting on with it!

as others have commented the thread is a fantastic mix of emotion and material content that is truly inspirational - thank you Steve; and also those who have contributed the little nuggets of info from time to time. =D>

Well today has not turned out quite as expected.

Akram was supposed to be coming over last night for a couple of days, but he is poorly sick and I certainly don't want the lurgy any more than he wants to party right now. So we've decided to postpone it all for a couple of days. All being well he is coming over tomorrow.

Which means I've had some time to myself (just for a change, ha-ha!). So I decided to set to on my planer/thicknesser. Although it is intact, it was just filthy from being in the barn, and any exposed steel areas were rusty. But most of it is just dirt and the rust was minimal because all the castings are aluminium.

So I armed myself with a bottle of Cif spray, a Sonic Scrubber, a steam cleaner and some WD40.

P1030201.JPG

You can see the difference just a bit of cleaning makes

P1030199.JPG

I took the fence apart to clean it under the tap in the kitchen. I discovered that it has three bolts holding it to the mount. It should have four. Does anyone have a spare one of these, please?

P1030202.JPG

It's M8, about 20mm long with a star washer and a square nut. The square nut is important as it is held in a slot in the fence extrusion. I used to have boxes and tins and tubs of stuff like this, but, well, you know. If you've got one and would like to donate it to a good cause...:), I'd be very grateful.

So after just 3 hours of cleaning, fettling and setting up:

P1030203.JPG

I wouldn't go as far as to say it looks like new, but it looks clean and tidy again and planes beautifully, if rather loudly. It's never been a quiet machine, but in the large empty space it positively resounds.

Attachments

• P1030201.JPG
    P1030201.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1030199.JPG
    P1030199.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1030202.JPG
    P1030202.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P1030203.JPG
    P1030203.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 1,041
Thank you Danny, and Thank You to everyone else who has been so supportive over this little project. It really is much appreciated.

As it happens, Danny, I have some pastry in the fridge chilling, I have a bathroom warming up and I have a glass with something in it, so I'm going to have a bath, make some mince pies and read a book.

Sounds like heaven Steve. I'm stuck with family this year and I'm about to go off the edge ! Currently hiding in the corner with laptop and bottle of bourbon :)

I'll have a rummage in the bits box for one of those bolts tomorrow. If someone else sends one in the meantime, can they let the rest of us know here please !

Enjoy the day off Steve :)

Adrian.

Steve Maskery":1t57sfrr said:
Thank you Danny, and Thank You to everyone else who has been so supportive over this little project. It really is much appreciated.

As it happens, Danny, I have some pastry in the fridge chilling, I have a bathroom warming up and I have a glass with something in it, so I'm going to have a bath, make some mince pies and read a book.

Little project :shock: :shock: :shock:
Nothing little about this build Steve. Has been a pleasure following it so far and I'm looking forward to seeing the first build to come out of it when it's finished

Merry Christmas Steve, have a well deserved rest. :ho2

Good day Steve,

Further to the PM I sent you a while back I'm now back from hospital and rehab after my back op.

I'm now fairly mobile (though still doing Physio, etc) and if no one else has come up trumps I'm pretty sure I have one 8 mm square nut (or more!) in stock, and certainly some 8 mm machine screws, bolts, and star washers also in stock.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the thickness of that square nut - from memory (such as it is!) I'm pretty sure that mine look a bit thinner than the one in your photo. So please check that dimension and if mine are suitable it'll be no prob to pop one (plus washer & bolt or machine screw - which would you prefer?) in the post to you.

If my square nuts are too thin(!!) it'll be no prob to make one of correct thickness up for you.

As per my last PM, and as so many others have already said, thanks for a VERY inspiring thread.

Happy New Year and all the best Steve - keep smiling (then at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that everyone else who sees you will be asking themselves "What's that so & so been up to now?").

AES

Very pleased to hear all that, Andy. I hope you are back on your feet properly very soon.

That is a very kind offer. The thickness of the nut is not critical, just as long as it will slide in the extrusion and not turn. The thread does need to go right to the head because the piece being bolted is only a mm or two thick, so that's a machine screw, is it not?

I'd go down and measure it now, but I can't, on account of 5" snow having fallen off the roof and formed a ridge a mile high all across the front of the building. I'm glad I wasn't standing under it when that lot came down, although I would like to have seen it, from a safe distance, of course!

Very best wishes
Steve

Adrian
Sorry, I missed your post. I wasn't being rudely dismissive, honest.
It's a long time since I drank any bourbon. I seem to remember it being a bit fiery for my taste. I guess it depends which brand. I'm no expert. Perhaps I should experiment again...

:)

OK Steve, Yes, if you want threaded all the way up to the head then a machine screw is what you need.

But I've just checked and would you believe I'm currently nil stock of 8 mm square nuts?! So I'll knock a couple out tomorrow, it'll be good Physio, and my first "job" since getting back home from the meat factory. I'll do 2 off, 2 different thicknesses of stock steel, and leave the square dimension a bit over standard size so that with a bit of filing you'll be able to sort out a snug fit for your machine. (Screws, washers, etc, I've plenty in stock).

All will go in post in a Jiffy bag tomorrow.

@Adrian: Can I have his bourbon please :lol: :lol:

Krgds
AES

Steve, confirm Jiffy bag with your 8 mm stuff went in post today. Sorry for delay, please see your PMs a bit later on today for my "lame excuses" for delay!

Bag should arrive by end next week (or so) if not, please PM me.

Meantime happy, healthy, and wealthy (?!!!) New Year to you and all readers of this thread, plus of course, many more of 'em.

Krgds
AES

I'd planned to paint today anyway, as the weather forecast was good, but I saw Ray at a NYE party last night and he came up to me and said, "What are you doing tomorrow? Not sure what time I'll turn up...".

So after an evening of food, laughter and music I got to bed about 1.30, hoping Ray was going to be late. Very late.

As it was, I was up when he arrived, but that was about it, definitely not yet ready to start work. However, in due course I got my act together and we finished getting the first coat of paint on the walls. It was the perfect amount of paint, we we were not short but there was none left either. Spot on.

P1030206.JPG

P1030207.JPG

It's cold again for the next week or so, so the top coat of paint and the floor will have to wait., so my next project is to make a pair of double doors. I can't make my mind up whether to make a temporary pair with just the left-over 4x2s and OSB, or go to Nottingham to shop for some proper timber and make the proper pair. My mortiser is in a friend's garage, but I could rout mortises. And I do have my Ultimate Tenon Jigs, so tenons won't be a problem either. It's just that a cobbled-together pair is a lot quicker for an immediate solution and doesn't involve any more financial outlay. OTOH it means doing the job twice.
Decisions, decisions.

Attachments

• P1030206.JPG
    P1030206.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,703
  • P1030207.JPG
    P1030207.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 1,703
Knock up some temporary ones and wait until its warmer.

Pete

Just watched the video you linked to on YouTube about your box joint jig. Compared to the cramped conditions you used to, not only work in, but film in also, you're going to have oodles of space in this new one. I'm sure it was worth all the work.

regards

Brian

I agree with Pete. You've got enough on your plate at the moment...knock up a cheap (free) pair and then carry on with other jobs. You're on the finishing stretch now! Looking great.

Could you make doors say 2 inches thick that could then be clad at a later date to give the look you want.That could be a cost saver and minimal double work.

Back