Steve's workbench build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitting the apron:
[youtube]5Lwcq2A2X-U[/youtube]
I'm about to start on the aprons for my PS style workbench. I would prefer to use a router to cut the leg housing on the apron. Thinking aloud I will screw battens to the inside face allowing for the distance from the cutter edge to the edge of the router base. The legs are 70mm wide will the router be able to fully cut the housing (three passes for about 15mm depth) in this scenario or am I overthinking it (lack of experience).
Thanks

I don't see why not. But if you make a housing jig, you can use it in other projects where screwing to the surface is not an option.
S

Last edited:
Steven, your youtube links are borked somehow. The tags you've used are [youtube] but ned to be [/media] if you can be pineappled to change them all!

Neil, I did my housings by hand and used a hand router, but your plan should be fine. You could at least be able to do around the sides easily enough, chop out the bulk of the middle with the chisel and just use the router to tidy it up.

Though I only tend to go 10mm at a time if its a full cut (not just an edge).

Neil, I did my housings by hand and used a hand router, but your plan should be fine. You could at least be able to do around the sides easily enough, chop out the bulk of the middle with the chisel and just use the router to tidy it up.

Though I only tend to go 10mm at a time if its a full cut (not just an edge).
[/QUOTE]
Yes thanks I was thinking that the middle away from the edges might be problematic. 15mm was the total depth in three passes was my plan.

Yes thanks I was thinking that the middle away from the edges might be problematic. 15mm was the total depth in three passes was my plan.
Ahh my apologies I thought you meant 15mm per pass. I should have thought really as a 45mm deep housing is probably overkill!

The middle chunk will likely pop out easily enough with the outside done.

Back