Steve Maskery in Good Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit late with this, just got my latest GW and remembered SM in the one last month. Anybody else see the improved Mackintosh chair he built for his article. I only ever associated him with jigs and DVDs, never actually considered him making a fine piece of furniture. I have to say I was quite impressed.

Hi,

More jigs :wink:

I have seen most of his stuff, he's not bad :wink: Don't want to give him a big head :wink: :lol:

Pete

This is all news to me!
I'm serious, what article, which chair? I've done a couple of ersatz-Macs. It's many years since I've submitted an article to GW, it was my interpretation that they sacked me when I started to write for Nick. So if they are publishing my work again, I'm delighted (as long as the ensuing remuneration follows...).
S

Steve Maskery":16c6styd said:
This is all news to me!
I'm serious, what article, which chair? I've done a couple of ersatz-Macs. It's many years since I've submitted an article to GW, it was my interpretation that they sacked me when I started to write for Nick. So if they are publishing my work again, I'm delighted (as long as the ensuing remuneration follows...).
S
Where there's Fame there's a Claim ...........get on to your lawyers for a no win fee :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

In my experience, when a Magazine reprints an article and they don't tell you, they are either under the impression they hold the rights, or they do in fact hold the rights. Often an author might have signed away unwittingly. I stopped writing for a particular magazine, because they began to insist authors sign over all rights on publication. No names no pack drill! :?

Benchwayze":30vngv5t said:
In my experience, when a Magazine reprints an article and they don't tell you, they are either under the impression they hold the rights, or they do in fact hold the rights. Often an author might have signed away unwittingly. I stopped writing for a particular magazine, because they began to insist authors sign over all rights on publication. No names no pack drill! :?

Having probably been the editor to get Steve to sign the contract, I doubt I would have expected carte blanche to be able to reprint, but I'm sure they are within their legal rights. We have no such contract at British Woodworking (no contract at all, in fact). We occasionally use photographs again, and have been known to send a small thank-you for doing so. Steve is an excellent maker, not just the Jigmeister, and I hope he can get back to making again as soon as possible. There is an example of his technique, and brilliantly simple approach to rail and stile joinery, in the next issue of British Woodworking, out at the end of March.

Nick Gibbs":1tq4musq said:
Benchwayze":1tq4musq said:

Having probably been the editor to get Steve to sign the contract, I doubt I would have expected carte blanche to be able to reprint, but I'm sure they are within their legal rights. We have no such contract at British Woodworking (no contract at all, in fact). We occasionally use photographs again, and have been known to send a small thank-you for doing so. Steve is an excellent maker, not just the Jigmeister, and I hope he can get back to making again as soon as possible. There is an example of his technique, and brilliantly simple approach to rail and stile joinery, in the next issue of British Woodworking, out at the end of March.

Absolutely Nick.
I gave it all up to concentrate on 'making' again... Besides the Taxman was beginning to mess about with my tax-code; in the 'wrong' direction, from my perspective :D

Have to admit I do miss the occasional chance to write, but when I have my feet up with a decent WW magazine; not so much!

Bon Chance Nick. :D

Back