Steve Maskery and Workshop Essentials

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Ladies & Gents,

Those of you who've been on this forum longer than I have won't need to be introduced to Steve Maskery and his "Workshop Essentials" training DVDs.

But for the benefit of newcomers I'd just like to give some very high praise to the set of 3 band saw DVDs that I just bought. Knowing virtually nothing about the subject there was a lot of very valuable material for me there (I'm still going over it all again after the 3rd run), but I'd also venture to suggest that even workers with some previous experience of band saws will find many valuable tips inside these DVDs. Excellent value for money IMHO.

Further, when trying to order I had some difficulties with payment (no fault of mine or Steve's) which Steve very quickly and cheerfully sorted out for me in a 5 minute phone call - AND he answered a couple of VERY basic band saw Qs that I posed at the same time.

In short it was a pleasure to deal with someone so efficient, friendly and cheerful and I'd rate the product as being first class. Thanks Steve.

Usual disclaimers.

AES

Yes AES....Steve's bandsaw DVDs should be considered the definitive work on the subject...and as you say...for starters and aged pros alike.

I think it is down to the methodical approach, delivered with supreme clarity that sets these apart from other works.

The jigs are pretty darn good too!

And he's a nice bloke!

Jim

Agreed re methodical approach & clarity Jimi.

I'll be trying a jig or 2 soon.

BTW, whereabouts in the Garden of England are you? I was born in Dartford and lived also in W. Kingsdown - near Brands Hatch - but I have to say that based on my last visit to UK (I haven't lived in Kent since the late 1960s) there's precious little "Garden" left as far as I could see.

Krgds
AES

Andy, it was a pleasure, and I'm glad you are delighted with your purchase.
Jim, I've added you to my list of quotes. Steady on though, people will begin to talk!
:)
Thank you both.
S

It's a pleasure Steve...I don't think I'm alone in my views!

AES....I'm over near Wrotham on the way to Maidstone.....

I would admit...London is moving outwards but there is a force field where they grow rhubarb just this side of Swanley so buildings don't grow in this soil....it's only good for old boots to be fair.... :oops:

Oh...and we have a LOT of coats....I'll get mine.... :mrgreen:

Jim

Ah, Wrotham Jimi (with the notorious Wrotham Hill - I am of course talking about the days before the "proper" A2, let alone the M2 and M20!).

Back then (I grew up in the 1950's) it could take us up to 10 minutes to cross the road (A2) on foot in Kingsdown on a Summer Sunday when all the Cockneys were on the way to the coast in their charabancs, or the rich ones in their Ford Populars and Morris 8s. And in those days too lots of E Enders used to come down in big furniture mover's lorries and camp for a week or two picking hops. That's what I meant about no more Garden of England - do you still grow hops? I don't think so. Anyway pleased to hear that the rhubarb around Swanley (must be Ruxley Corner?) is keeping the smoke at bay.

Oh BTW, is it still pronounced "root em"? Only a while back on the BBC World Service I heard it pronounced "rot am"!!!

Cheers
AES

I was in wrotham yesterday, walked from there to Rochester. Am walking the north downs way, in chunks of course. So far walked from Farnham, Surrey to there. Wrotham looked lovely, didn't realise it was the hand tool restoration capital of the UK :D

AH yes AES...you must be a little older than me then...when I was a 12 year old the A2 was just becoming an A2 (M)...in fact...the day before it opened I rode my new drop handled racing bike down it with nothing on it...it fair whizzed along. My friend and I used to cycle all the way to the coast from Sidcup...without getting flattened....you wouldn't want to do that these days.

We still grow hops...though far less than we used to. All the oast houses are now up-market properties for the rich with round furniture...the Hop Farm is now a venue for rock musicians....and old gits like Bob Dylan...and Wrotham is bypassed and isolated on an island between the M20 and M26 and their off ramps.

Wrotham Village is lovely...used to have loads of pubs...now mostly gone...but I live just outside...little hamlet...no shops...no post office anymore...just a pub. Pity I no longer drink! There is talk about the "Green Belt" disappearing...I guess it will happen eventually...but for now it's still fairly rural. Enjoy your walk and pop into the Rochester Guild Museum to see the Seaton Chest if you are there.

Jimi

Yes Jimi, a bit older than you it seems - I was born in 1945.

Nice to remember "the good old days", thanks for your replies, but I guess we should knock it off now as this thread has now got nothing at all to do with woodwork, general or otherwise ;-)

Cheers

"see you around sometime, somewhere".

AES

Back