Steps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamIreland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I made some template steps into my narrow boat, just 3 steps on ply, but I'll make them of a hard timber next.

But the edge seems a bit sharp to me now looking at them. Is it standard to cut the edge down to match the angle the steps are in or is it better to let the man petrude out a bit and keep the full thickness of the timber?

Thanks
Graham

Attachments

• IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 199
I'm not a 100% sure what you are asking. If it is about the nosing of the stair, then yes, this should project and be slightly rounded over top and bottom.

It is a universal principle of all stairs and steps that they should evenly divide up the height. In other words, each step should be the same height. You seem to have a bottom step which is some 2 or 3" high, which counts as a trip hazard rather than a step! I would suggest adjusting the spacing so that you have the same number of steps, but evenly spaced.

MikeG.":3vzuh0mf said:
It is a universal principle of all stairs and steps that they should evenly divide up the height. In other words, each step should be the same height.
The old stairs in our house had apparently random rises, with the biggest being 3 or 4 inches more than the smallest. Replacing them was complicated as there are two 90-degree turns on the stairs, a room doorway and a cupboard under the stairs and I didn't want to alter the banisters or the wall paneling alongside the stairs. It took me days working on my story stick to get the layout right. Compromises were inevitable but I prioritised a standard rise as much as I could and eventually reduced the difference between minimum and maximum rise to 3mm. I was happy with that but only achieved it by some less-than-ideal choices with other aspects of the stairs.

image.jpeg
These are a standard item I make for narrow boats, as you can see the no sings of the treads are rounded and the rise for each step is 200mm. A third step up of 200 mm takes you onto the front deck ( just about all narrow boats have a 600 mm level difference between the inside floor and front deck.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 137
I've had to post the above before completing it since I seem to be struggling with the photos. I accept that the item is not suitable for your use since the pump and pressure vessel are in the way somewhat. I originally used a300mm high stool and stepped onto the front deck from that, but lower step heights are now much to be preferred .
The materials used are 19mm oak veneered block board with solid oak treads.
I made the first set for my own benefit but they have generated interest from fellow boaters of a certain age.I think you could adapt the design to fit over the plumbing with luck.

Latest posts

Back