stepped pulley removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of refurbing an old fobco drill and need to get the pulleys off. Just found the set of gear pullers below has anyone here used this type and are they ok for what I want to do, I'm guessing they will be fine but if anyone knows better let me know.

51fGfUEzFIL._SL500_.jpg

Thats the stuff, use them all the time on motors etc etc. Wouldn't say there's any point getting expensive ones unless you're putting real stress on them - and you shouldn't be. Think Machine Mart used to do some inexpensive ones.

I found them on eBay £12.75 for a set of three inc delivery. I doubt I will use them ever again but I can always whack em back on eBay when done.

edit: ordered from ebay will let you know how it goes in my Fobco drill thread.

fobco-drill-refurb-t64132.html

They are useful. But one caution, if you are pulling an aluminium pulley that is stuck on a steel shaft (even if you've used all the lube movers) you will still find yourself more chance of breaking the pulley. I've seen it done quite a few times. One tip, if you can remove the shaft and pulley together place in a low heat oven for about 10 to 15 mins if the pulley can be tapped to break the hold then gentle use of the pulley. best to be on the cautious side.

These are aluminium pulleys , I will just take it easy I've been spraying wd40 around the centre of the pulleys every time I go up the workshop , hopefully the pullers will arrive tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

hi check for two grub screws one i took of had two did not find until a lot of bad language #-o
the are very easy to use.
pip

Yep I've read about some having two so I checked.

Are you sure they are aluminium. I always thought that they were cast iron - a magnet sticks to both the pulleys on my drill. I don't know if you have to treat this differently to aluminium, but it may be worth checking.

Misterfish

I'd be very surprised if there was enough friction to crack an ally wheel on a small diameter shaft but if you have doubts a hot air gun played over the pulley until its too hot to touch will help a lot - ally/steel + differential rates of expansion.

Jeff

Yeah mine are aluminium did the magnet test , someone must have swapped them for the original cast iron ones.

Latest posts

Back