step two

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I covered the steel with masking tape. Drew out the pattern freehand. Transferred the tape to a piece of scrap wood and cut it on the bandsaw. Could not decide about the drop on the blade so made one without.

Open to votes on either shape (just dont expect me to take notice of them)

Attachments

• IMG_2987.JPG
    IMG_2987.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    890.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2990.JPG
    IMG_2990.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
No votes so I made my own mind up. The blade edge now has a belly curve the whole length. If I dont like it later on then there is enough meat to allow reshaping.

A very poor "end of the day" picture to show just the blade, the handle hasnt been shaped yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3000.JPG
    IMG_3000.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
Blade profile settled now. Trying out my old grinder on the cutting edge. its not good, but will remove bulk and then I'll have a lot of hand sanding to do. The brass guard is on for dry fitting. It cost me a cheap router bit but I used the router table as a milling machine to make the edges nice once I had drilled out the bulk of the brass slot.
Still not settled on handle type or even shape.
Annoyed with Ground Flat stock company because it wasnt. Theres a dimple in each side almost a mm deep right in the middle of the blade thats going to take a lot of sanding out.

Attachments

• IMG_3003.JPG
    IMG_3003.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3002.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
In fact? No.
In imagination..... maybe. 🙄
I've used as much of the steel as I can, so that if I dont like it I can make it smaller. I might yet end up with a swiss army knife.

Youre showing your heritage there, that link is 403 forbidden.

The blade is 13", just to prove I'm not superstitious. On the final grind it might come in at 12 1/2" depending how much I mess up the angles.
Cant see me making anymore of these. Its just cutting a flat bit of metal and 7 days of sanding. My patience threshold was breeched today. I'll finish this but without a dedicated sharpening angle machine, it aint worth the handache.

Due to the underwhelming response to my WIP, I moved on from 2 to 27.
The knife is shaped and assembled. Now i have to go over all of it in the next couple of days and remove the blemishes one by one before the final polish. I think I'm going to have the blade black with the edge clean.

IMG_3031.JPG
IMG_3032.JPG

Back