Steel rules with vertical depth gauge on the back?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrissey007

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, Watching a few US dvds lately and they all seem to have these 6" steel rules that double as depth gauges using a scale on the back of the rule that goes up vertically, but I'm blowed if I can find one - I have searched for ages! Anyone have one/know where to get one? Thanks!

Thanks for replying Paultnl but.... no! I have one of those depth gauges (its a trend) I mean literally just a 6" steel rule, normal markings on one side, and depth markings going vertical (like the markings on the gauges in your pictures)

Something like this? I have something similar buth there's no depth markings. The reverse on mine just lists the metric conversions of 1/64" to 1" in 64ths.

Thanks to everyone who has helped and replied, at the end of the day it isn't a matter of life or death (or depth!). Just thought one would be handy in the pocket, so it's back to the rule and separate depth gauge!

Similar Kevin, but the ones I seen on the videos (always american ones) have horizontal on one side and vertical on the other, but the Starrett looks good enough, thank you!

Well most digital calipers also work as a depth gauge. But like a lot of thing it depends on the size of the hole. Personally I swear by this..it is one of the most useful bits of kit in the workshop..use for virtually every measurement.

900043_l.jpg

morrissey007":2ga6fy73 said:
Similar Kevin, but the ones I seen on the videos (always american ones) have horizontal on one side and vertical on the other, but the Starrett looks good enough, thank you!
If you stand a horizontal ruler on end it gives you a vertical scale. :roll:

morrissey007":1rzy3v71 said:

Can you post a screen grab?

Edit; I just had a wander through (some of) the various 6" rules on the American Amazon site, and can see nothing like you describe.

if they do exist, they're not at all common, so I think your video presenter has a "funny".

Screen grab is probably the only way forward.

BugBear

Thank you everyone who posted, I appreciate the help and sorry it took so long to reply, cant belive where the last year just went to!!

I got a Kreg Multimark like paulntl and its cracking, does a lot of jobs, I also got the steel one that RogerS kindly put the photo of, so I'm fixed for rules now!

(but never did find the rule that I originally spoke of though!)

Back