Steel rod/bar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metals4U.co.uk are my goto for steel, good range, small quantities no problem

They don't seem to do HSS though, or am I missing something on their site?
West Yorks Steel would be my go to for HSS (and other tool steels) as Flat, Round or Plate, no online shop, but responsive on email and free delivery too.

They definitely carry M2 and M42, possibly old T grades if you ask too.

Sheffield Tooling Company sells pre-prepared HSS tool blanks, both new M-grades and NOS, I got some good 1" MOMAX and some ¾" T1 blanks for making custom spline cutters from them rifling through boxes in the back for me.

Thanks Mr Jelly.
You lost me at NOS, but I have heard of m2 and m42 😁
I'll give them a shout.
Cheers
NOS - "New Old Stock"

It's hard to source T Grades of HSS these days, and pretty much all of the stuff I've come by is aforementioned New Old Stock.

That old HSS is only really useful (to me at least) because it can be heat-treated adequately without special equipment, and very well with quite a simple hearth, which the molybdenum containing grades cannot be.

Have made myself set of these carbide tipped tool and use them alot. I got my first lot of flebay then a friend mentioned a local fabrication shop. Have made several since and he supplied me 12mm bright bar when I needed it cheaper than flea bay. However the stuff from flea bay was fine.

..I used FH Brundle... I set up an online account for Brundles, who were much cheaper.
https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/
I've used them as well and did really well on my initial deal with them where I placed a web order for a specific amount that was indivisible by their stock lengths resulting in them supplying me with , in effect, two for one on some items eg: requested 3m of 50x50x3mm angle iron @ x/6m length and only paid .5x but still got a full 6m delivered.

Latest posts

Back