Steam / relax drying kilns - Sauno

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shed9

establiSHED member
Reaction score
Looking to get a Sauno and build a small kiln.

Finding info on how it works seems very sparse. Logosol themselves don't say much and the manual says more about the styrene kiln structure than the unit itself. Are Sauno the only one in this game at that price point and is there a DIY approach to relax drying wood.

Any help / input welcome.

From personal experience....most Sauna's at home in this country quickly fall into disuse and become a store unless you have plunge pool and swimming pool as well. Steam room more useful. In a former existence I had one at the insistence of Dutch ex wife. There is not much to them - often in Scandinavia they are basic log cabins with a brazier.

AJB Temple":1qclmj74 said:
From personal experience....most Sauna's at home in this country quickly fall into disuse and become a store unless you have plunge pool and swimming pool as well. Steam room more useful. In a former existence I had one at the insistence of Dutch ex wife. There is not much to them - often in Scandinavia they are basic log cabins with a brazier.
Erm? Sauno not Sauna.

I looked into diy timber kilns some time ago. I remember reading about solar kilns, seemed quite an effective method.

pollys13":1tjsbsdh said:
I looked into diy timber kilns some time ago. I remember reading about solar kilns, seemed quite an effective method.
I've read a fair bit on the solar kilns and they seem to be effective but timescales are still quite significant whereas the Sauno has a more efficient turnaround.
I'm due to plank a quantity of timber this year and was looking at options. The Sauno seems to be some sort of black art - there is so little info and how it actually works.

I seem to recollect the Sauno has quite a sophisticated timer, perhaps Goggle that, might bring something back, like a repair, faults, might get you to an owner.

pollys13":3hhnx19t said:
I seem to recollect the Sauno has quite a sophisticated timer, perhaps Goggle that, might bring something back, like a repair, faults, might get you to an owner.
Will do, thanks for the input.

I've spoken with an owner and even Logosol direct, both ends of that spectrum seemed to treat it like Harry Potter Magic without any details.

I understand it steams / heats the chamber with additional water present and then dries with a heater element and fans (possibly) in that order but I suspect there is some humidity checking going on as well. Owners seem happy with them but wanted to understand it a bit more to understand the chamber more - if that makes sense?

Hello Shed9,

I have just lost a more detailed reply..grr.

I have 1 & from poor memory there is no hi tech - just common commercial catering spare parts (phial & capillary thermostat, scroll fan with heater etc) & instruction on how to build a foam box. Foam box was not good. I dried a load of 6x6 larch & some holes where melted through the foam & the foam moved when hot & the silicone cracked. The water dripped out, it all dried out too much before I found out & some wood split but most was ok. I would use stainless steel sheeting glued to ply & insulation next time to make a flat pack kit.

I could have got most of the parts quite easily & cheaply so I was bit miffed when saw what the kit comprised of but the nifty foam fixings, vents & technique I could not get elsewhere. I did not get a dry wet hygrometer & will do if/when I use it again.

HTH
Togs

Chris152":21fv186g said:
Maybe get in touch with Axminster to see if anyone there can offer advice?
https://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/build ... ying-kiln/
From the little I've read (essentially Wood and How to Dry it (Fine Woodworking) and bits and bobs on-line) drying wood in a kiln needs quite a lot of monitoring/ controlling, whichever way you do it.
That's a good point, I pass the Cardiff branch about once a month, I'll pop in and have a word. I've read that Fine woodworking book, little dated but still relevant and proven to be useful. Monitoring / controlling is not an issue, used to be an electronics engineer many many many moons ago and still have my hand in small projects and it's partly why I'm trying to understand the Sauno in temrs of what it does.

Togalosh":2ld8cgmn said:
Hello Shed9,

I have just lost a more detailed reply..grr.

I have 1 & from poor memory there is no hi tech - just common commercial catering spare parts (phial & capillary thermostat, scroll fan with heater etc) & instruction on how to build a foam box. Foam box was not good. I dried a load of 6x6 larch & some holes where melted through the foam & the foam moved when hot & the silicone cracked. The water dripped out, it all dried out too much before I found out & some wood split but most was ok. I would use stainless steel sheeting glued to ply & insulation next time to make a flat pack kit.

I could have got most of the parts quite easily & cheaply so I was bit miffed when saw what the kit comprised of but the nifty foam fixings, vents & technique I could not get elsewhere. I did not get a dry wet hygrometer & will do if/when I use it again.

HTH
Togs
hi Togs, appreciate the response, as mentioned to Chirs152, I want to understand the Sauno before buying and your findings pretty much instil that need. I suspect I could build one of these but can't get my head around the process. That said, I appreciate the cost of the device is more than the sum total of the parts, there is some design and testing involved. It seems only Sauno are the ones doing this commercially at that price point.

You want to know what it does & why ?

You make a vented box with a circulating fan & a heater, fill it with wood, add water & get it slowly up to steaming. Once the steam gets into the timber it equalises the moisture throughout the timber (because it's wetter in the middle to start with). Then you slowly & accurately lower the moisture & temperature in the box in a very closely monitored & controlled process. This allows the moisture (especially from the centre of the timber) to be drawn out evenly & relatively quickly so the timber is not left with stresses or checks/shakes.

The moisture is partially chemically bound in wood & the steam gets it all moving outward.

.. I think

Back