• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Steam Powered Box Factory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
A really nice bit of filming, plus a fascinating place and process. A bit light on health and safety however :shock:

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Absolutely love it - thanks for posting that :)

I bet the poor old mutt is deaf though :roll:

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, S France. Now NW Wilts, UK
'elfunsafety?

I just wonder how many accidents there have been in the 120ish years it's been operating? Not many I would guess, prbably less than a modern 'safe' mill? What a fascinating place to see and I am really glsd that you psoted it, TA :mrgreen:

Their method of pyrography is a tad quicker than mine and what a lovely bit of Heath Robinson to do it with too! I could quite happily spend a day or 2 wandering around there..

Lord Kitchener

Established Member
Reaction score
I notice the person with the long hair seems to have got away with it so far, but the dog's tail is unusually short!

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just my romantic imagination, but I reckon that the people who work there have a far better understanding of the machinery, and a stronger mental connection to the manufacturing process, than they would in an ordinary, modern factory like those on show in 'How It's Made' programmes.

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
I also noticed the dog's atypically short tail. I can just imagine the day a whelp came from behind the running gears and flapping belts. (hammer)

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
There might be one small thing wrong somewhere here... but i haven't found it yet. The beat-up Chevvy pick-up for starters. You can fair smell it all. And a Health and Safety report would just spoil it all. I think I know someone who would love all of this. Make that two.

edit: at about 3:20 in on "The Planing Mill"... there's a 'Darwinator', or at least the top bit of one... just where they start the whole thing up.
This all beats TV, don't it?

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
Lord Kitchener":34iv2t94 said:
I notice the person with the long hair seems to have got away with it so far, but the dog's tail is unusually short!
:shock: :shock: :shock: