Steam Box - 150MM UNPERFORATED TWINWALL PIPE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the pressure cooker capacity versus steaming time required ratio like? I know the wall paper steamers fairly chew through water but they switch off automatically when they run dry.
I presume you need to rely on the noise the cooker is making?
This is all fascinating as it's on the to do list of experiments for this year.

Test steam today, some small mods to do but its worked well and sustains 100 degrees steam. Thanks for all the feedback. See some photos[attachment below
Steam6.jpeg

Steam7.jpeg

Steam1.jpeg

Steam4.jpeg

Attachments

• Steam6.jpeg
    Steam6.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 493
  • Steam7.jpeg
    Steam7.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 493
  • Steam1.jpeg
    Steam1.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 493
  • Steam4.jpeg
    Steam4.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 493
Condensate diverter (with silicone) and barbecue thermometer, idea from web.
Steam3.jpeg

Steam5.jpeg

Attachments

• Steam3.jpeg
    Steam3.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 493
  • Steam5.jpeg
    Steam5.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 493
Good idea with the condensate diverter, mine just pished out through all the gaps :-D

... and as above, pics of what you're making would top it off nicely.

Have to wait a bit, timber and sticks air drying/cutting. Currently manufacturing bending/straightening jigs.

I'll post info when I'm raising steam.

Sheffield Tony":xsmdejlh said:
My various attempts have included 4" PVC waste pipe, which worked a few times but did deform quite a bit. With some support it might last a good few uses. Currently using 4" aluminium tube, wrapped in an old fleece blanket for insulation.

But I do wonder, what about stainless steel twinwall flue pipe intended for woodburners ? Inner diameter ~150mm, surrounded by 30mm rockwool insulation and an outer stainless layer. Available in up to 1m push together lengths. I presume a cheaper brand would be OK for this. Anyone tried it ?

Having just recently installed a wood burner in my workshop using twinwall i have to say the price per metre of decent pipe makes your eyes water.

For straightening walking stick blanks I used a stainless steel tube, turned caps for the ends and a plastic connector for attaching to the wall paper steamer, works a treat with many shanks going in at the same time, all be it gets very hot so I tend to use it outside. I guess it is small for some projects but does the job for me.

MARK.B.":s8pleirj said:
Having just recently installed a wood burner in my workshop using twinwall i have to say the price per metre of decent pipe makes your eyes water.
Off topic, but why use twinwall? All the heat from the flue is going outside rather than helping to heat the workshop.

Back