Steam bending poles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biesini

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to using wood but am excited about my new project! I have started to build Yurts from scratch and have sourced some green Ash poles to use for roof poles. But this came at quite a high cost and have decided I need to find a cheaper material to use. I need to be able to steam bend these poles and am told that Oak or Chestnut or American Ash is good for this. The poles are measured at 2.4mt lengths and 52mm x 38mm, the plan is to plain down one end to 30mm and then steam bend the entire slat and bend in a former. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what wood would be best to do this? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Home grown air dried Ash would be my first choice then beech both steam very well choose nice straight grained boards and avoid any knots etc.

I've steam bent Oak and Ash for boatbuilding and both bend very easily, Ash in particular, my steamer is a length of aluminium tube, wrapped with loft insulation to keep the heat in and a rag stuffed in each end, a cheap steam wallpaper stripper is attached in the middle.

Latest posts

Back