Staving-off redundancy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LBGPKgQ2ac

We may only have a couple of coopers left in the UK, but it seems that the German barrel making industry is doing OK.

I originally found this whilst looking for a video of a croze being used. Sadly, they actually use a spindle moulder or a router in a table instead (or at least it looks like it), but it's still an interesting video. There's also a really 'interesting' use of a woody circular plane near the end, and confirmed Neander...s can look away during the 'noisy' bits. :lol:

Spot the funny-shaped 'sander' near the beginning too (commentary writers ain't what they were!). :shock:

Regards,

E.

PS: Apologies if it's been posted before.

Nice! Well, apart from the H&S nightmares. I didn't know about the straw, thought that it was just the swelling of the wood when it becomes wet that made it watertight.

S

I believe they are rushes rather than straw - but if the script writer thinks a planer is a sander, that's a subtlety too far.
Interesting to see the different approach compared to English beer cooperage. A trad beer barrel has staves which are tapered in the length (as well as in the thickness) so that they fit together without nearly so much bending, which suits the use of shorter pieces of thicker wood.

Back