Stave construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Established Member
Reaction score
looking for some sort of online calculator to help cut staves for a conical structure -a compound angle therefore
any thoughts guys

I worked around the problem using a segment calculatorfor top and bottom dimensions and then joining up the inner and outer lengths by hand to get the 'slope'. (compound angle or whatever it's called)

Harlequin":2wg3gkko said:
monkeybiter":2wg3gkko said:
Anything to do with a recent magazine purchase?

no
however would be interested which magazine - useful info?

The Woodworker, March edition. The article on stave jointing might be of interest, though not pricisely what you're doing.

Thanks all

the numbers generated by the calc look scary :shock:

will try your idea CHJ - sounds like it might do the job

woodworker eh :shock: - traitor :)

I tried this, made several 8 side cones as roofs for some posh bird boxes. The design for this came from daughter, who then decided they needed dormer Windows fitted as well. Basically made a cardboard model, then cut out a triangle, or whatever shape you need as a template and run the blanks for the sides through the router with a bearing guided 22.5 degree. Didn't turn them afterwards. Gluing up was iextremely messy I was using pu glue, so had very black hands afterwards als involved lots of swearing.
Cable ties were good for holding it together whilst glue dried.

Latest posts

Back