Startrite Ta175

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris72

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.Does anybody have any comments,good or bad on the old startrite saws?.I have the option to buy one and would wecome and would welcome anybodys feedback
Thanks
Chris

Nice solid cast iron. Can't go wrong I don't think. Only disadvantage is the weight, do you have a crane to move it :shock: :shock: :lol:

Adam

I have 2 the 165 and 175. Does the one your looking at have all its bits, as to get replacements, sliding table is FANTASTIC.
Its quite easy to tune, and stays tuned if treated with care.All the best with it

HS

I have the 255.It's not that heavy. The top comes off and I carried it down to the cellar on my own.Then the base. That went a little faster than I would have liked but not too bad.Mine came without mitre guide but I got a kity one and remade the bar which was too small. I was looking at the osborne eb3 mitre fence,(see philly's review) but the sliding bit is thicker although the width is the same.Engineering wise it's very well thought out.And they are left tilting which is supposed to be safer.

Thanks guys.The saw comes with all the extension pieces and tools,I was very impressed with it compared to a lot of modern saws.It is VERY heavy,but we like that!.
Cheers
Chris

i've bought the saw and it looks the business!.Im really pleased with the fact that its three phase too,should be no lack of power problems here!.Not sure if my Incra 2000 mitre gauge will fit the slots,it could be that a trip to work and some table machining could be on the cards.Does anybody know if you can run the dreaded dado cutter with this saw?
Thanks
Chris

I would have thought it would be easier to make the incra fit the table rather than the other way round. Isn't cast iron prone to moving after machining? As for your other question I will say this quietly 'yes'. Well mine does anyway.

I spoke to INCRA re the same problem, the arm of the incra can easily be machined "down"to fit without affecting their garentee ,
good choice lots of fun tuning it and using it :lol:

I would agree that under normal circumstances it would be easier to machine the incra down but I'm taking the saw to work for a few mods ie to make it mobile and its just as easy to put the table on the borer and machine the slots.Cast iron goes nowhere with machining,its all to do with the grain structure ,very stable!.
i've just thought of a plan for an adjustable width riving knife for a dado head,it should sort the kick back problem nicely as it only needs to protect the blade nearest the rip fence.
Comments anybody?
Chris

Chris,
Depending on the type of cast iron and the methods of clamping that are employed, it can distort quite a bit during machining. You will probably be OK with an old saw where stresses have relaxed with time but why risk it if the acceptable alternative is to machine a mitre guide?

Latest posts

Back