Startrite TA165 Tidy up - Part 1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyfiesta

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a fairly decent condition Startrite TA165 and want to do a sympathetic refurb - looking for some advice from this fine forum. I don't want to charge in so have a few questions that will hopefully avoid some mistakes. I thought I'd try and limit 1 question to 1 thread (hence "part 1"), hope thats ok.

So, I'm going to start with the table top. I've read (I think) all the related posts here so understand that the top has some roll pins to align the top to the blade assembly/frame, my pins are in place. I can see several bolts holding the top on to the chassis, my question is if I attempt to take the top off so I can get inside and clean thoroughly, will it ever go back on "square"? Will the pins be destroyed? Am I better leaving everything in place?

I'm fighting the urge to take it all apart of polish every nut and bolt!

Thanks in advance

With care, you can drive the spring pins down from the top of the table. A good soak in WD40 beforehand will help.....You wont need to drive them out completely, just enough so they are no longer located in the cast iron top. Just make sure you use the correct diameter flat ended punch.

The spring pins are designed to realign with the trunnion assembly and everything should line up when you put it back together.

One other tip I can give you is,...Find a way of supporting the motor and trunnion assembly before you remove the top. The motor & trunnion is heavy and it will want to sag and strain the sheet metal casing whilst the top is off.

Regards, Tim.

Quick follow up: I assume I’ll be able to tap the pins back from the underside, or will I need to get new pins? The holes look to be 6-6.3mm.

thanks again

Once you've knocked the pins down far enough so that they are free from the cast iron top and the top lifted off, you can then continue to punch the spring pins out and through the bottom side of the trunnion mount.

When you reassemble the saw and put the cast iron top back in position, tap the pins into the top from above so they are not protruding from the bottom of the table. Once you've got everything lined up, just tap the pins home and they should self align with the holes in the mullion frame.

I've taken apart & reassembled quite a few of these saws and all so far have had the spring pins fitted.....I've never had to buy any new replacements, so as long as yours look okay and are not bent out of shape, you should be able to re-use them.

The pins will be imperial size, probably 1/4", which is 6.35mm.....

Back