Startrite TA 175 Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebois

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a Startrite TA 175 table saw which is in a pretty poor condition. The previous owner said he started it by spinning the blade with a stick and thought the capacitor was faulty. The capacitor looks like someone has tampered with it as it's hanging off and the wiring is badly connected - so don't know if it's original or correctly sized for motor
The only info I have is what 's on the actual stand of the machine.

The serial no. 175 59420
Single phase 240v
1.1kw

Unfortunately the data plate on the side of the motor is missing.

Would anyone have a TA175 and know what size capacitor it should have? Or be able to photograph the data plate on your 1.1kw TA 175 - in the hope it has the capacitance value on the plate? Or, any literature etc which may help.

Be really grateful for any pointers,

Many thanks ;-)

No problems! I have a spare motor for my TA165 sitting around at work, but I suspect it's exactly the same as it's also 1.1Kw.
I won't be able to get any photo's until tomorrow evening, but I'll Post some up As soon as I can.

I'm not certain, but I think the motors on the 145, 165 and 175 were all the same...???!! Brooks Gryphon 1.1kw.
I just had a look at my 145 and there is no mention on the motor plate of the size of the Capacitor. The Capacitor on mine is fixed to the side of the motor in its own sealed enclosure so I'm afraid I can't see what size and rating it is.

Sounds like a blown capacitor. The capacitor gives a boost to kick the motor round and start it.... the information you need should be on the capacitor itself... (microfarad rating) Message me your email address - I will email you the manual... but it won't have that info.
You should be able to bet replacement capacitor from Power Capacitors in Birmingham
Don't use a stick to start it... very dangerous
Cheers

Phil1975":1cstwi1k said:
No problems! I have a spare motor for my TA165 sitting around at work, but I suspect it's exactly the same as it's also 1.1Kw.
I won't be able to get any photo's until tomorrow evening, but I'll Post some up As soon as I can.

That would amazing!!! Thank you so much.

A pic of the data plate would be really helpful, even if the capacitance value is not written on it. I'd be interested to know what spindle speed it was aswell and what amps it draws etc? Don't know if the cover for the capacitor pops off easily because the info needed might be on the capacitor?

Below is a photo of the motor fitted to my machine (I think it's original?????) - i'll get a better photos later this morning.

Thanks for all the help ;-)

Attachments

• Motor pulley side.jpeg
    Motor pulley side.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Motor fan side.JPG
    Motor fan side.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Cap pic 2.jpeg
    Cap pic 2.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 176
  • Cap pic 3.jpeg
    Cap pic 3.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 174
Distinterior":ibu4cpdc said:
I'm not certain, but I think the motors on the 145, 165 and 175 were all the same...???!! Brooks Gryphon 1.1kw.
I just had a look at my 145 and there is no mention on the motor plate of the size of the Capacitor. The Capacitor on mine is fixed to the side of the motor in its own sealed enclosure so I'm afraid I can't see what size and rating it is.

Thanks for the info and I think your right (unfortunately!), the info is inside the casing and written on the capacitor. Even though, you can't get to your capacitor, all this info is very useful - knowing that 145, 165, and 175 all had the same motors (1.1kw) Brook Gryphon. Hopefully someone has a disembowled one and can confirm the micro farads. The plot thickens!!

Thanks for these pointers.

Cheers ;-)

The problem with capacitor shown above (Aerovox) is that I don't know whether it's the correct one, as it looks bodgercobbled by a keen diyer. I could order another of the same value (100-125 microfarad) and hope for the best but I didn't want to fry the motor if the information is out there.

Thanks everyone :)

You've certainly got some work to do there...!!
I restored my 145 and got the spares i needed from Lee at Altsaws. He was very helpful!

I was hoping to get some original coloured Startrite hammer finish paint from him so I could repaint mine, but his supplier was no longer making this colour.

I found an alternate supplier for the paint, so if you plan on repainting yours, let me know and I'll give you the contact details.
I was well pleased with the finished result.

Tim.

lebois":2hs228l3 said:
The problem with capacitor shown above (Aerovox) is that I don't know whether it's the correct one, as it looks bodgercobbled by a keen diyer. I could order another of the same value (100-125 microfarad) and hope for the best but I didn't want to fry the motor if the information is out there.

Looking at the physical size of that Capacitor in your hand, I don't think the original is quite that large...???

The Capacitor enclosure on my motor is smaller from memory...!!

Here's a picture I took of my saw when it was nearly all back together. You can see the Capacitor enclosure on the top of the motor.

Startrite TA145 2_zpszqcj2mj0.jpg

Attachments

• Startrite TA145 2_zpszqcj2mj0.jpg
    Startrite TA145 2_zpszqcj2mj0.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 367
You need to also ascertain if it is a start-run cap or just a start cap. The one you have states intermittent on it, if the motor has the cap in the circuit for start and run you need a continuous rated cap.

F.

Distinterior":2r6s5pm7 said:
lebois":2r6s5pm7 said:

Looking at the physical size of that Capacitor in your hand, I don't think the original is quite that large...???

Here's a picture I took of my saw when it was nearly all back together. You can see the Capacitor enclosure on the top of the motor.

Thanks Tim

You've given me some excellent information. The picture you sent is also so useful as it confirms that your motor is identical to mine. I've had a brief look around the internet and your Brook Gryphon suggestion seems to be spot on!! The outer metal casing for the capacitor is diamond shaped on these Brook Gryphon motors (on my motor there's a definite diamond shaped dirt/paint mark where it once sat - now missing). If I can get hold of a photo/info from the data plate on the motor: RPM, amps, etc, then I just need to find someone who has a disemboweled Gryphon, or is willing to unscrew the capacitor cover to read off the capacitor's specification.

Feel much closer to getting her running now.

Your saw table looks the business. You did a really nice job on that!

I'd love the contact details for sourcing the paint if you still have the info?

Thanks for all the help buddy ;-)

Fitzroy":374x4kax said:
You need to also ascertain if it is a start-run cap or just a start cap. The one you have states intermittent on it, if the motor has the cap in the circuit for start and run you need a continuous rated cap.

F.

Thanks for that - I'll keep that in mind. I'm crossing my fingers that someone has a Brooks Gryphon of the same spec that I can open up to confirm.

lebois":2i29pjmx said:
Distinterior":2i29pjmx said:
lebois":2i29pjmx said:

Thanks Tim

You've given me some excellent information. The picture you sent is also so useful as it confirms that your motor is identical to mine. I've had a brief look around the internet and your Brook Gryphon suggestion seems to be spot on!! The outer metal casing for the capacitor is diamond shaped on these Brook Gryphon motors (on my motor there's a definite diamond shaped dirt/paint mark where it once sat - now missing). If I can get hold of a photo/info from the data plate on the motor: RPM, amps, etc, then I just need to find someone who has a disemboweled Gryphon, or is willing to unscrew the capacitor cover to read off the capacitor's specification.

Feel much closer to getting her running now.

Your saw table looks the business. You did a really nice job on that!

I'd love the contact details for sourcing the paint if you still have the info?

Thanks for all the help buddy ;-)

I can help you with the details on the motor plate if that helps..... I just found a picture on my phone that I took during my rebuild.

The stated Amps are 7.3A and the RPM are 2850.

I'm afraid I can't help with the Capacitor value as I'm a bit loathe to start taking it apart again...!! Lol ...!

PM me and I'll send you the details of the paint supplier. I sprayed my saw after reading up on the internet about spraying Hammer finish paint. It was my first attempt at spraying and I was very pleased with the finish I managed to achieve.

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• Motor - 1.jpg
    Motor - 1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Motor - 2.jpg
    Motor - 2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Motor - 3.jpg
    Motor - 3.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Motor - 4.jpg
    Motor - 4.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 34
Phil1975":34rdlht5 said:
Hope this helps...

Ahhhh missed this! I'm new to the forum and didn't check page 2!

Thanks Phil this is perfect info, that's all I need!!! I've sent the motor off to Robson and Francis Rewinds, London. They said they'll play around with various capacitors and hone in on the correct one. Your details of the capacitor will be able to give them a good base to start from. They said that some manufacturers change the windings and capacitor even in the same motor during the life of the production of a particular model - so even though you have two Gryphons of the same kilowatts, etc, the capacitors can vary. But the info is so useful to help guide them and quite possibly is the correct rating for the motor.

Really, really grateful for this info, thanks so much for sharing this.

Fingers crossed the Gryphon will live again!

Cheers ;-)

Back