Startrite TA 145 Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reeva

Reaction score
Hi all, need some advice from you knowledgable people, so here goes.

My current table saw is an Axminster which is really noisy & jerky, an aluminium table and the fence is rubbish, its also very old so looking to upgrade.

I have the chance of a Startrite TA 145 8 or 9 inch blade, 1.5hp table saw at £450. It's probably a bit overkill for me but it does look like a bomb proof saw and I think from looking at it I'll get the accuracy I want.

What do you people think, is this a bargain, or should I barter

Thanks in advance
Reeva

The size of motor is the same as either the 175 or 275. These have either a maximum of 10 or 12” blades with no difference in the size of the foot print. The 145 has a slightly smaller foot print but has three compromises IMO. Firstly the fence I don’t think is as rigid or as accurate. It just slides on a single bar and locks. The dust drops onto a slope which exits through a large hole which does not have a cover panel. The blade size is very small and limits what you can do. For I believe all of these reasons the saw does not seem to sell as well as the 175/275.

For a really nice example of the 145 single phase with original crown guard and all accessories it’s the right price IMO, but that’s about as much as they sell for. It also represents the bottom price of the 175/275.

I've owned and refurbished 2 of the Startrite 145 saws and have 3 more "in stock" awaiting the same treatment.....if I ever find the time!

It is a good, solid little saw. The fence is a little small but it is all cast iron, as is the saw table.
The 3 phase models don't tend to go for as high a price as the 240v single phase versions, for obvious reasons.
As Deema said, if it's a complete saw with all the standard attachments, that price is reasonable.
Some of the spares are available, but can be costly. For example, the aluminium table insert is about £35 if I remember correctly and a replacement lift or tilt handle is about £75.

Many thank for the information and the speed at which you sent it.

I'll update you if I progress or look for something more suitable.

I bought a TA145 back in 2013 although its only now that I am finally getting round to rebuilding it for use. Based on rebuilding the Brook motor and the spindle bearing it is a nicely engineered machine. I would agree capacity does not look to be huge, but neither is my workshop and it will be fine for the furniture making I am doing.
Nigel
S+01dOvqT9i7Ez7dg70O2A copy.jpg

Attachments

• S+01dOvqT9i7Ez7dg70O2A copy.jpg
    S+01dOvqT9i7Ez7dg70O2A copy.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 966

Latest posts

Back