Startrite TA 1250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes*b

Reaction score
hi, my first post. Glad to have joined. I recently picked up a Startrite TA 1250 in very good shape. I am pleased . Have assembled and am happy thus far. My only question mark is about the adjustable angle fence that attaches to the sliding bed perpendicular to the blade. First of all its missing the stop stock latch/adjuster assembly (i would just call that a sliding stop) and also the stop that fits in the end of the extending rule. The fence itself is in good nick but it seems these pieces are missing. and i would def be needed them

Unless i'm missing something very obvious there does not seem to be a way of locking the adjustable angle part of the fence when its in its zero (90' to the blade position)

finally ....also missing is the sliding mitre gauge

i have the manual downloaded from a link on here, thanks. anyone help with advice / parts before i call A.L.T , althpough im not sure whether their spares stock would run to any of the above.
cheers
jes

Welcome to the forum Jes.

I also have the TA1250, and it's a great (big) saw. Startrite also did a TA300 saw before this one which is perhaps more common, and is very similar, so if you are struggling to google TA1250, try looking for TA300.

However, I don't use the adjustable angle tool - do you have a picture of your tool showing the problem, as this might make it easier for people to help?

Excellent . Is there a way of posting images without need for paying for eg photobucket ? Thanks

Add photos by writing a reply and selecting full editor, scroll down and you will see the relevant bit. There is a size limit so you might have to reduce the resolution/pixels otherwise use a free photo host like FlickR
There is a sticky tutorial on the forum too. It is located right at the top of this forum (and possibly others too).

adjustable fence ta1250.jpg

so this is what happens to the fence when the lock knob on the sliding part is tight . the fence can still move slightly forward from fully closed. Dosen't seem right. Eventually it gets to a point when it can't move any more as the lock knob is doing its job and preventing the sliding part from moving . ill add pics of the parts from the manual

TA1250 flip over stop.jpg

TA1250.jpg

also after the end stop seen here

Attachments

• adjustable fence ta1250.jpg
    adjustable fence ta1250.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 306
  • TA1250.jpg
    TA1250.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 324
  • TA1250 flip over stop.jpg
    TA1250 flip over stop.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 329
I have found the flip over stop so that’s a start ! Still need to work out how to stop the adjustable fence from moving . The manual talks about tightening two locking handles . I have one . Can’t see how the other would work . Anyone explain ? Cheers

Jes, sorry for not responding earlier but it's been a busy week!
Here are some pictures of the stops and fence on my 1250. I don't use the adjustable fence on mine (not even sure I have it in the box of dusty bits it came with) and it doesn't look very solid from the pictures you provided. Better surely to clamp a straight piece of wood to the sliding table?

20200611_091515_compressed.jpg

20200611_091557_compressed.jpg

20200611_091536_compressed.jpg

Attachments

• 20200611_091557_compressed.jpg
    20200611_091557_compressed.jpg
    916.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 20200611_091536_compressed.jpg
    20200611_091536_compressed.jpg
    840.7 KB · Views: 265
  • 20200611_091515_compressed.jpg
    20200611_091515_compressed.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 244
Thanks for this . Most helpful . I can see that ours are similar but maybe not quite the same . If I stripped the adjustable part off mine to be like yours how do I connect it to the sliding table ? At the moment mine connects via two knobs at the front of the sliding table . And they clamp to the angle bracket of the adjustable section which in turn clamps to the rail that you have . How does your tail clamp to the table ?
Also ... the stop end for the rule that you show . Does it have a flip out bit as per the manual diagram ....I have found in a bag of bits the part you show but mine has still pin in it that is used as a pivot for another piece that rotates out and would then be the stop ( similar to the flip over stop ) can see any of that on yours ? Thanks
Also what tools do you have ( I have an empty rack inside the motor door ) cheers

No tools inside the saw I'm afraid. But I have somewhere the box of accompanying bits which I can try to find. I also have additional outfeed tables and fences which I can bolt on.

Re the end stop- I've looked at the manual, and I can't see any flip-out piece. Mine is a solid piece of metal on the end. It (and part of the table) extend, but there's no flipping.

For the fence, I think it's a simple mechanism. Here are some pictures showing how the fence simply bolts on to the side of the sliding table. You should have 2 holes going through the side of the sliding table, and the handles simply bolt through to fence. Quite low tech but it works. Very sturdy.
20200611_220521_compressed.jpg

20200611_220510_compressed.jpg

(sorry, I'm impressed by the forum's ability to include pictures, but I can't work out how to rotate them!)

Attachments

• 20200611_220521_compressed.jpg
    20200611_220521_compressed.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 223
  • 20200611_220510_compressed.jpg
    20200611_220510_compressed.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 244
Thanks again . I Will take a closer look at my fence when up workshop today . Don’t think I have holes vertically to put the knobs in . Also the end stop - if you scroll up and look at the pic of the manual you can see the end stop assembly . We both have the main block but there is a thinner piece with a slot. I assume this rotates on the roll pin to provide the ‘stop’ . Can’t see that bit in your pic And mine is missing . If you have it a quick sketch would help and I’ll draw something up . All help really gratefully received . Cheers

Back