Startrite SP147 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ovenpaa

Established Member
Reaction score
We have an old Startrite band saw sat in the workshop that I suspect is the Model SP147. My wife grabbed it a few years ago when we were looking at a replacement Mill and it has been occasionally used for cutting aluminium or plastic and mostly gathering dust. We have now moved it to the woodworking area and stuck it on a trolley so it can be wheeled in and out as required, so it is ready to use. Nearly…

I need to get a coarser blade made up, we have a company we use already for our horizontal saw so sourcing one is not an issue. There are, however, some issues. The guide roller system is a bit rattly and occasionally sparks, are such things worth stripping and servicing?
Also, the fence is far from ideally needs replacing, I suspect I will have to make one unless someone has a suggestion?

Finally, the 240 volt motor is fixed speed these days, I am thinking of fitting an SCR type speed controller and was going to try one of the cheapy things on a well known auction site, does anyone have any experience with them?

Attachments

• 20210516_184520.jpg
    20210516_184520.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210516_184528.jpg
    20210516_184528.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210516_184534.jpg
    20210516_184534.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 21
As Robbo says, the guides are too far forward, they’ll be catching the teeth which is why it’ll be sparking (and ruining the blade). If it’s sparking from the back, that bearing will be ceased and can be replaced.

Well as an update, Ian at Tuff Saw supplied a 3TPI M42 blade, I reset the guides and it is working like a dream on the current gearing. I ended up ordering an Axminster fence which should be here today/tomorrow and will give me something to do over the weekend. It is amazing just how much the new blade makes!

Back