Startrite SD310 Thicknessing Issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve recently fired up the SD310 and something seems to be amiss when thicknessing.

The piece isn’t being pulled through adequately by the rollers, it tends to stop, as if I was taking too shallow of a cut... except I’m not. Nor am I taking too deep of one. I’m not doing anything different to what I’d normally do and haven’t encountered this before...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Are the blades set up correctly relative to the rollers rather than to the outfeed surfacing table?

It’s fairly easy to check if you’ve already got a known thickness piece, the infeed roller should engage with the workpiece around 2mm before nominal thickness and the outfeed should at 1mm below.

I’d that’s not the case perhaps the springs have lost tension for some reason? What rollers does it have out of curiosity, all steel or rubber?

I assume you know that the beds should be waxed and such to allow for smooth feeding.

Steel rollers. Good shout about the springs, will see if I can get hold of some new ones if it persists. I’ve just given everything a good oil and wax and clean so will fire it back up in a bit...

After a good clean it seems to be ok, hopefully it’s as simple as that! Definitely think I should be waxing the beds more often though.

Thanks for the help Trevanion.

My Dewalt was doing similar last week. A good clean of the thicknesser bed and a wax made all the difference.

Fitz.

Fitzroy":1b9bygq6 said:
Interesting, never seen that one before mentioned on the numerous posts on here about machine surface coating.

I had a single tin from them a while ago and I didn't get along with it, at all. It didn't lubricate the beds particularly well and was perhaps half as good as wax or silicone spray, it made shavings and dust sort of amalgamate into a paste on the machine beds that would smear all over the workpiece with an oily consistency and whatever is in the tin seems to just seep into timber which is a little worrying if you're going to paint over it. I'm not really sure what the stuff is but I imagine it's nothing more than a white spirit mixed with some kind of oil and they charge you through the nose for it. I think it's actually aimed at people that machine a lot of softwood with heavy resins but the clueless reps will just push it on anyone as a do-it-all product to put their numbers up.

It's not Wurth the effort in my opinion, but others may like it.

Trevanion":2p54uo4g said:
Fitzroy":2p54uo4g said:
Interesting, never seen that one before mentioned on the numerous posts on here about machine surface coating.

I had a single tin from them a while ago and I didn't get along with it, at all. It didn't lubricate the beds particularly well and was perhaps half as good as wax or silicone spray, it made shavings and dust sort of amalgamate into a paste on the machine beds that would smear all over the workpiece with an oily consistency and whatever is in the tin seems to just seep into timber which is a little worrying if you're going to paint over it. I'm not really sure what the stuff is but I imagine it's nothing more than a white spirit mixed with some kind of oil and they charge you through the nose for it. I think it's actually aimed at people that machine a lot of softwood with heavy resins but the clueless reps will just push it on anyone as a do-it-all product to put their numbers up.

It's not Wurth the effort in my opinion, but others may like it.
Sounds like you are applying too much ? I use a pump bottle to dispense it and one or two squirts then wiped into the machine bed is more than enough to have them like ice .
Never had a problem spraying the work after .

JFC":2cw69jpp said:
Sounds like you are applying too much ? I use a pump bottle to dispense it and one or two squirts then wiped into the machine bed is more than enough to have them like ice .
Never had a problem spraying the work after .

I had their own pressurised cans and possibly I was putting too much on as it sort of came out like rain droplets rather than a spray, I definitely wasn't wiping it in as I don't particularly like turning the machines off to wipe them down mid-workload. That's why I'm a big fan of the silicone sprays because you can spray it where you want it from a safe distance away from any spinning blades of doom and you don't need to wipe it in.

Back