startrite problems, please help!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
my 351E is giving me problems, I took delivery of it, plugged it in and "boom" goes the plug fuse!

I replaced the fuse with some 15amp fuse wire and the same thing happened!, the motor makes a buzzing noise, and I checked that the bottom wheel is free to move.

any ideas??

anyone else use a 351E off of a standard 13amp plug?

kityuser, assuming your blade is set up correctly, and not binding; and your bandsaw is new, then send it back, sounds like the brake may be permanently on. This machine has a 1.5hp motor and should easily run from a 13A socket.

Never replace fuses with fuse wire you will potentially damage your wiring and or machine. If your supplier finds out they would be quite justified to wash their hands of you; as you will have voided the warranty. Lets hope they aren't members of this forum.

not sure how they can void the warranty of a obviously faulty machine, we are talking about 15amp fuse wire here, not 30amp !!!

at the end of the day, the machine was purchased origonally on a credit card, so there won`t be any problems getting the money back if people start getting funny about things...........

interesting what you said about the brake, because I spun the bottom wheel manually then started the machine and the wheel did decelerate quickly.......... (before the fuse blew again)

thanx for your comments

Hello Kityuser, thanks for your post on my thread about the hot motor on my Notrite 351SE. i don't know how I missed your post.

From replies yesterday particularly from Mike (Midnight) I decided to check today as regards any mechanical problem causing exessive load on the motor. By way of elimination I took off the blade and ran the bottom bandwheel carefully with the door open. I noticed I have a very wobbly lower bandwheel. Of course I have never directly observed the wheel before as when the blade is on it is obviously too risky to have the door open. A check with my dial test indicator taken on the face of the wheel close to the edge showed that there was a 2mm backward/ forward wander in one rotation. I took off the wheel (flat as a pancake) and checked the bandwheel pulley where the run out is about 0.7mm near the edge of the face. So either that or the bandwheel hub spindle is bent. I wasn't going to start dismantling the bearings, circlip etc in order to investigate further.

Phoned RecordPower primarily about the motor overheat and also mentioned the wheel wobble in case this could be a cause of extra load. The engineer seemed to feel this was within tolerance but in any event has agreed to visit in early June.

As far as your problem goes you might like to check out the lower bandwheel area for any problems causing mechanical strain. However in your position I think outright rejection without any further investigation is reasonable. I rejected my first 351SE (see uk-woodworking) on MSN. Hope you get somewhere soon.

Regards

Roy

roy:

cheers for the advise, I`ll have a check of the bottom wheel but I think my problem is probably motor related.

I was very suprised to find no door switches to stop the motor if a door is opened (top or bottom), does yours have any??

although I haven`t got a working saw yet, I`m impressed with the machine as a whole, hopefully I`ll be able to use it soon.....

No switches on mine. Surprised me too. I find the allen key opening very annoying as well. I also think the doors should be hinged the other way round.

Regards

Roy

(honeymoon now ending)

Back