Startrite Pillar Drill on EBay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonm

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen this drill on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264914322224?ViewItem=&item=264914322224
It looks unmolested but it is too far for me to go and look at it, also I would want to have it collected by courier, so reasonable expenditure for something unseen. I have asked a few questions about cracks in castings, movement in quill etc and am awaiting a reply.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the questions I should ask or is it ridiculous to even contemplate buying it unseen.

I would be more concerned about the shipment of it personally. it wouldn't take much to knock it over, you are reliant on the seller putting it in a decent pallet, strapping it down and packing it properly. They may agree to this but when it arrives it will be on the cheapest beaten up old pallet that they had lying around and tied on with a bit of string. Any damage the courier will blame the seller, the seller will say take it up with the courier. You also have the hassle of loading and unloading when they send the wrong type of vehicle!

I think that you should be able to get a decent used drill for between 150 and 250. By the time you have this home, I doubt that there will be much change from 200. Fair price but not a bargain. If it falls over and breaks a casting you won't get a replacement.

I would wait for something within a couple of hours drive of you.

It is worth looking out for makes like Elliott, walker turner, champion as well as the meddings and fobcos. There must be more but those seem to slip under the radar value wise. Everybody seems to know about meddings these days!

Macros, you make a very valid point about the transport I can see that going very wrong. I have a volvo estate plus a trailer which can take about 400kg so transport a reasonable distance is not a problem, main issue is the weight I can load safely with help and move occasionally around the workshop if necessary.

I was very interested in a Meddings Pacera which sold today on Ebay for about £180 and not too far away but at 115kg I decided it was just too heavy. The Startrite Mercury is about 45kg which is manageable.
I have a whole list of drills I have searches for as follows meddings, Fobco, ajax, Kerry, progress, Elliot, boxford, excelsior, Rosa, atlas, tauco, delta, Grafton, pollard, startright.

I will add walker turner and champion to the list.

I think you are correct, I just need to wait for something close enough to inspect and collect. I can take someone in the family bubble to help load but the south coast is too far.

most of these can be separated with a couple of spanners and a bit of help- a wooden block or two is handy too. That halves the weight to lift and allows it to spread about the car a little. the table will probably come off fairly easily too. It certainly makes it easier to get it onto your bench at home!

my drill went into my estate car fairly easily. Well TFrench lifted each half in as though it was a feather. By the far end it seemed to have gained weight when I lifted it out.

The depth stop is missing from that drill as well...and it looks as though its had a tough life from the overall condition.
As Marcros said, I'd bide my time if I was you and look for something in better condition.

The depth stop is missing from that drill as well...and it looks as though its had a tough life from the overall condition.
As Marcros said, I'd bide my time if I was you and look for something in better condition.
Thank you for the observation and advice. I will give this a miss and wait for something closer.

I’d follow the advice from distinterior. I have a floor standing version and it’s fine for small project woodworking, but looking at the bed, it has been used by someone who doesn’t really care and the depth stop is something I use all the time. Perhaps wait for a better example ?

I’d follow the advice from distinterior. I have a floor standing version and it’s fine for small project woodworking, but looking at the bed, it has been used by someone who doesn’t really care and the depth stop is something I use all the time. Perhaps wait for a better example ?
I think you are correct, basically I need something closer and something I can collect myself.

I have a Fobco that I bought for a job but have never used. (I already have one that was my Dad's and has drilled literally millions of holes.)
You are welcome to look at the unused one, but the only thing that may be a problem is that it's 3 phase.
As you are in Warwickshire you can't be too far away from me..........

Swapping a motor.out may not be a big job. People often discuss it on here.

I have a Fobco that I bought for a job but have never used. (I already have one that was my Dad's and has drilled literally millions of holes.)
You are welcome to look at the unused one, but the only thing that may be a problem is that it's 3 phase.
As you are in Warwickshire you can't be too far away from me..........
Bansobaby, I have sent you a message.

Macros, you make a very valid point about the transport I can see that going very wrong. I have a volvo estate plus a trailer which can take about 400kg so transport a reasonable distance is not a problem, main issue is the weight I can load safely with help and move occasionally around the workshop if necessary.

I was very interested in a Meddings Pacera which sold today on Ebay for about £180 and not too far away but at 115kg I decided it was just too heavy. The Startrite Mercury is about 45kg which is manageable.
I have a whole list of drills I have searches for as follows meddings, Fobco, ajax, Kerry, progress, Elliot, boxford, excelsior, Rosa, atlas, tauco, delta, Grafton, pollard, startright.

I will add walker turner and champion to the list.

I think you are correct, I just need to wait for something close enough to inspect and collect. I can take someone in the family bubble to help load but the south coast is too far.

I think your Volvo would more than easily take 115kg as that equates to the weight of 1 or 2 average people. A lot to handle for one person though.

Latest posts

Back