Startrite or Hammer bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AspiringWoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just sold my scheppach basato 3 bandsaw as I want to get a beefier bandsaw with bigger cut capacity.

Im in two minds! I really like the Startrite 401e as well as the Hammer n4400. I would be ok stretching to buying the 401e even though it is several hundred pounds more because I think it is a slightly better machine overall but is this correct!?

I would appreciate any buying advice on what fellow woodworkers would recommend!

Thanks

Contact Hammer/Felder in Milton Keynes. They often have 2nd hand, trade-in, ex demo machines. I was looking for a 12" planer thicknesser last year and ended up getting a 1 2month old Startrite from them at a very nice price.

Colin

Hello, thanks for the helpful replies. I went to Hammer/Felder today at Milton Keynes to look at the Hammer n4400 bandsaw. The chap there was helpful explaining its features. One area of concern with this Hammer is that the price has recently increased to circa £1,500 for just the basic bandsaw. This is in my opinion a big increase and i am not sure the bandsaw is worth this increased amount when for a couple of hundred pounds more i could buy a new Startrite 401e. The startrite may win this competition as i am drawn back to the Startrite again due to the Hammer increased cost.

I would welcome your view/perspective.

Many thanks

It's just because its the start of the year and their sales targets are just abstract fancies at the moment. Give them a month or two and the discounts will be flying again...

I have also looked at all these model, and to be honest you cannot go wrong with any of them. I am a bit dubious about the 16" cutting depth of the Startrite with only a 2hp motor, when I looked at the Hammer, it had a 12" depth with I beleive a 2.5hp motor in single phase and 4hp for 3-phase. I think the Hammer motor is more realistic size versus maximum cut. That said, you might not need the 16" cutting depth, but if you have it, at some time you might decide to use it. I suspect the Hammer will need a dedicated 16A supply installed as it's starting current might be too high for a domestic ring mains. The Startrite will be better in this regard with it's 2hp. If it's a new machine, you should also consider the Minimax S45N which is similar to the Hammer but will also start from a 13A supply, As I have said, all these Italian made saws are excellent (including the Italian Minimax). I bought my Minimax secondhand in mid 2011 and I use my bandsaw all the time now and would not be without it. If it's a new machine, I would suggest that writing out a cheque for what you think it's worth and putting the cheque on the table when you go to the dealer might results in a significant price reduction. Good luck with your adventure.

If you are interested, my post on my purchase is here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/my-new-italian-companion-minimax-s45-bandsaw-t54601.html

Nigel

Many thanks for the replies. Today I ordered the Hammer n4400. I was originally pushed heavily back to not buying it when the Felder salesman went through the costs. The cost of the Hammer has sky rocketed so I have not had much change out of £1,800 - includes wheel kit and extension. I so nearly went for the Startrite 401e but the one thing that brought me back to the Hammer was that it looks nice and it has a 4hp motor on ordinary 240v(albeit 20amp supply not 13amp). I am now waiting with eager anticipation to receive the Hammer (up to 6 weeks) and start using it.

Now I need to think about what bandsaw blades to go for - Im tempted to go with the m42 from Tuffsaws.

Any blade recommendations?

I received my Hammer N4400 bandsaw on Friday. Took longer than what the salesman said but Im pleased its now in my workshop. Hurrah!!

AspiringWoody":pvwz3m3m said:
I received my Hammer N4400 bandsaw on Friday. Took longer than what the salesman said but Im pleased its now in my workshop. Hurrah!!
Unfortunately that time difference is all to common with hammer machinery but even so that must be a record even for them at over 3 months for the bandsaw LOL

Still It is a good bit of kit and I wish you well with it

Roger

I have the Hammer n4400 and am pretty pleased with it. I do however find resawing of say 15cm oak boards a bit of a struggle. Not sure if it's my technique or the motor but the blade often stops through the cut.

I also have a Felder combination machine which is fantastic! Always had good support from Felder, contrary to other postings I have read.

Regards,

Paul

there must be something wrong there Paul. it sould breeze through 6" oak.

Hmm, pretty sure it is me rather than the bandsaw.

Yes I already have Tuffsaw blades and yes they are definitely better but still get problems.

I'm not a frequent bandsaw user (perhaps for this reason!) but I like to try and use it when planing boards to either reduce the amount of thicknessing I have to do or, of course to split a board in two if I can get away with it.

I have set up everything as I have been told to (tension etc) but still struggle!

Any offers of support will be most welcome...

Cheers,

Paul

Carlb40:

Thanks for that - I think I will invest in the Steve Maskery guide and see where that gets me!

Thanks again,

Paul

Back