startrite max depth of cut??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
my 351E (sick at the moment :( ) has a claimed "height under guides" of 300mm

from people`s general experience, what is the max depth of cut for a medium sized machine when cutting a hardwood? (bearing in mind that the machine has a 1HP motor)

regards

steve

300mm?? I am jealous. Mine only manges about 160mm which is limiting when resawing stock :(

Cheers

Tony

Steve,

Most small machines come in at around 7 inches. I would love 12 inches like yours, although I think that a 1hp motor might strugge to cut that in hardwood.

Hi Steve

No you are not misreading it - Height under guides 300mm :evil:

I have resawn 155mm stock quite often and found the Dure Edge blade absolutely essential for this!

So far I have resawn 150-155mm Oak, Ash, Mahogany, Meranti, Pine and Beech without any problems.
My Charnwood W720 has a 550W motor which is about 3/4hp

CHeers

Tony

PS I did notice the gloat

thanks tony, just the reply I was looking for :D (another kity user comes to save the day 8) 8) 8) )

I am using a duredge blade (alot cheaper than I thought) which is the max thickness my saw will take (3/4" 3 teeth - per - inch)

It`s just that on the board where the belt finally snapped, the saw was starting to struggle and I was worried that i was overloading it (very slow feed rate). It looks like from what you said that I was just seeing an early symptom of the brive belt failing. (fingers crossed)

what do you recon:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/gallery/det ... age_id=265

am I going to struggle with some of these??? :?

is the solution just to slow down the feed rate, or take them to the yard i used to work at to resaw them on a bigger saw.

steve

hum, some of them are getting close to the max depth your saw can cut :shock:

you sure it`ll handle beech at that thickness? (the widest one is a wacking 280mm wide...........................280mm :shock:

you come get it, resaw it, bring it back and we`ll see 8)

steve

Latest posts

Back