startrite bandit vs 301?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCee

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm after a well made, smallish (12 inch) bandsaw. Can anyone give opinions on the 2 startrites above? Any other suggestions?

I first used a Bandit some 30 years ago. It was still working well up until 5 years ago, but I never really liked it because of a lack of power and limited table tilt facility. The 301 was the replacement. Faced with a choice I would go for the later machine.

Colin

Hi, not sure if this helps but my 12-S-1 is badged Bandit, and it has no lower blade guide, which I was a bit disappointed in. Nice solid wee saw otherwise.
Hi, how did the lack of lower blade guides affect the performance? There is one close to me for sale and I'm looking for someone to tell me that it's a good machine (or otherwise). Thanks Steve

Can't comment on the Bandit but I have a 301 which is now 30 years old. It doesn't get heavy use as I'm a hobby woodworker but it has been fine for me. The table is steel so it needs to be kept waxed in my unheated garage to avoid rusting (and it's best to clear all the dust off it at the end of a session as that causes rusting if left lying on the table), I had to fit a new starter switch a couple of years ago but that is the only problem I've had with it.

Latest posts

Back