Startrite 352S acquired but how do I...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrytpot

Established Member
Reaction score
Managed to finally find one at a price I was willing to pay and as it's not at the other end of the country I would like to collect it myself. My problem is the vehicles I have access to and not knowing how much the machine can be "broken down" for transport. Manuals I've read tell me it stands 1830mm high but that's a bit of a squeeze in either my X3 or our Peugeot partner van. Anyone know if it comes apart much and have any suggestions? TIA

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 23.30.41.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 23.30.41.png
    828.7 KB · Views: 0
Should be no bother, but take the table off, might be an idea to put it in first.
I'd get some thick short bits of fenceposts around 3" thick to get clearance for hands, plenty of old jackets
or carpet or even cardboard for protecting paint of the machine whilst sliding, and car more importantly, and then some more for packing in.
Not knowing if you can/plan to take seat out, very easy to remove with only one little bolt at the front on some older cars, (but beware of grease which is kinda difficult for someone like me who has only done so once for annual mot, possibly some more carpet would do here.
then an easy job.
Also remembering I forgot to pull out plastic grease covers of tracks and cracked one, doh )
or disassemble base if possible.

Might be an idea to have some of those posts fixable/slotable/stackable/how ever you do it,
to take the brunt of the weight of the fulcrum,
if you're planning on tilting the column (spine) side down and sliding in from the top wheel first
and then tilting the heavy lower half in after,
as the plastic lip/ or whatever you call it, and boot lock won't get damaged,
Motor side will likely be a lot heavier since these have seemingly sheet metal wheels,
although there may be something solid in them too.

Good luck with it.
Tom

If you take the table off and blade out you should be able to poke the top end over the back of the passenger seat, if all else fails. Still fairly heavy - you might need a hand.

Hello, it will fit in you van but you will have to lay it flat on the floor and then remove the steel box it sits on. When it is lying flat you have access to the bolts. It is all very heavy and not something to do on your own. One would be better off leaving it assembled as you would have to also dismantle the foot brake.

Managed to finally find one at a price I was willing to pay and as it's not at the other end of the country I would like to collect it myself. My problem is the vehicles I have access to and not knowing how much the machine can be "broken down" for transport. Manuals I've read tell me it stands 1830mm high but that's a bit of a squeeze in either my X3 or our Peugeot partner van. Anyone know if it comes apart much and have any suggestions? TIA
Am in Derbyshire (near Wirksworth) and I've got a van. Where are you moving it from/too?
n.b. They are not that heavy - I can move mine around on a sack trolley if the table is off.

Am in Derbyshire (near Wirksworth) and I've got a van. Where are you moving it from/too?
n.b. They are not that heavy - I can move mine around on a sack trolley if the table is off.
It’s lurking over in DE6 (somewhere on the way to Ashbourne ) and I’m not a million miles from IKEA at J26 of the M1 although I’m fairly sure I can sort transport it myself but thank you very much for the kind offer Jacob.

It’s lurking over in DE6 (somewhere on the way to Ashbourne ) and I’m not a million miles from IKEA at J26 of the M1 although I’m fairly sure I can sort transport it myself but thank you very much for the kind offer Jacob.
No prob. Not far away if you need anything - sack trolley could be handy if you want to borrow mine.

A sack trolley will definitely make it easier as the fitted wheels are puny and useless except on smooth floors, that's what I used, lashed it to the trolley and pulled up a ramp into my VW T5 van just left the whole lot lying flat, I left the table fitted. I wouldn't like to load it into a car though.

If you transport it in your van make sure you tie it down securely. Dont want to be killed if in a bump. Though that would be a way to go

KILLED BY FLYING BANDSAW Certainly unique.

What's the difference 352 and 352S?
Slight variation of the cabinet door details in the pictures - is that it?

What's the difference 352 and 352S?
Slight variation of the cabinet door details in the pictures - is that it?
Confession time…while waiting for various info I downloaded an online manual from A.L.T saws & spares to find the dimensions and didn’t realise they weren’t all “S” models so included that in my thread title. 🫢 I’m not sure as to the exact diffences between the different versions but the “S” has a base that appears to be much wider.

Attachments

• 7D97336C-7C84-4993-B3E9-3880F470AAB9.png
    7D97336C-7C84-4993-B3E9-3880F470AAB9.png
    693.4 KB · Views: 0
The S denotes supersport, youve got the Carlos Vandango GT version, it will go much faster and any curves you take will be tighter and with a dashing verve,,,probably has a racing stripe down the side too,,
Better hang on tight!
Seriously though, having moved much old rubbish over the years in both cars and vans my tip would be to make sure you have some proper help, having two people at the back and one in the front lifting it in makes life a lot easier and your less likely to break something or injure yourself.
Steve.

Back