Startrite 352 wiring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS. As Deema said electrics are dangerous. I personally find them terrifying and i think I'm pretty competent. Please do be wary if you think you're out of you're depth. People on here comment on this stuff as they are worried about each other not to be nosy nor annoying, they've likely seen or felt the impact of an industrial accident on friends and family and would hate to see someone else hurt.

I get that, it would be pointless to have these forums in the first place if we followed that advice. "Go to the dealer or speak to an electrician" would be the response to most questions. I'm in a situation where the bandsaw is dangerous to use in it's state and I'm seeking help from those who have more knowledge than myself to make sure I do it safely. I didn't respond to the first post Deema wrote as I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but then the second post said people shouldn't post on the thread so it would force me to go ahead without any help and potentially be more hazardous.

Is your machine one with mechanical interlocks or microswitches? A few photos from the inside of the column with the switches would be useful.

Is your machine one with mechanical interlocks or microswitches? A few photos from the inside of the column with the switches would be useful.
Looks mechanical to me

Attachments

• IMG20220808120554.jpg
    IMG20220808120554.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20220808120600.jpg
    IMG20220808120600.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20220808120604.jpg
    IMG20220808120604.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20220808120612.jpg
    IMG20220808120612.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Yours is a more modern unit than mine, my contactor is one integrated unit with the switch. Yours has a separate switch on the side of the contactor/relay. This ebay post is for the same contactor you have but with a 240V coil rather than 415. I'd expect it to be a direct replacement but you should check dimensions are the same.

Yours is a more modern unit than mine, my contactor is one integrated unit with the switch. Yours has a separate switch on the side of the contactor/relay. This ebay post is for the same contactor you have but with a 240V coil rather than 415. I'd expect it to be a direct replacement but you should check dimensions are the same.
Oh my god you're a genius!

This is the same width as the 415v one in there now but it's missing the bottom section (is that a relay?)where the brake would touch right?

EDIT: Sorry trying to keep on top of two kids whilst messaging haha. So I can use the bottom section of the original with this one? I'm going ahead and ordering it as I have a limited time to crack on with the bandsaw and see what happens 👍🏻

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-09-10-37-22-45_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-09-10-37-22-45_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2022-08-09-10-37-17-40_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-09-10-37-17-40_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
who's photos are those? That's not the same as the one in your earlier photos. If that's the sellers photos then that is not the unit you need. You need a 037H0031-31 that looks like a 037H0032-31.

Edit: looking at the ebay link the description and the code on the box do not match. The code on the box is the unit in the photo. Although there is another ebay sale of the correct unit ebay,

Edit 2: The switch unit comprises the contactor, the thermal overload relay (the bit on the bottom), and an auxiliary contact block (the bit that interacts with the start button), you can see then all in the catalogue.

Last edited:
who's photos are those? That's not the same as the one in your earlier photos. If that's the sellers photos then that is not the unit you need. You need a 037H0031-31 that looks like a 037H0032-31.

Edit: looking at the ebay link the description and the code on the box do not match. The code on the box is the unit in the photo. Although there is another ebay sale of the correct unit ebay,

Edit 2: The switch unit comprises the contactor, the thermal overload relay (the bit on the bottom), and an auxiliary contact block (the bit that interacts with the start button), you can see then all in the catalogue.
Ahh looks like I'll need to return it as it's already been posted. Ok I'll order the second one

Ahh looks like I'll need to return it as it's already been posted. Ok I'll order the second one
This is becoming like a Chinese finger trap 😵‍💫. The newest link is to the same seller I'm struggling to get a refund for the first eBay purchase that he labelled incorrectly. I don't think he will want to sell me another item for fear of me sending that back too. The motor in there now is rated 4.9amps. Are you sure?

I'm not sure what you are expecting in the way of assistance, now, from the vast knowledge on this forum, but from my point of view you spoiled your chances in your earlier response posts, with machine controls your into a whole new world away from wiring on a plug, which is probably becoming apparent.

And before you slate me, I was apprentice trained as an Industrial Electrician.

I'm not sure what you are expecting in the way of assistance, now, from the vast knowledge on this forum, but from my point of view you spoiled your chances in your earlier response posts, with machine controls your into a whole new world away from wiring on a plug, which is probably becoming apparent.

And before you slate me, I was apprentice trained as an Industrial Electrician.
Ok I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here? By boasting your 'credentials' you're an authority on who can and cannot ask for help on a forum? You have no idea what previous experience I have in electronics and you haven't thought to ask. You hope that you can bully me out of a forum?

I've had a very unlucky run, I have been sent the incorrect component for the second time so am now establishing a collection of Danfoss plastic paperweights. Hopefully third time is the charm. If you guys know anyone who may get some use out of a: contactor CI 12 037H0032-31 or a CI 9 037H0021-31 let me know and they can have them.

Attachments

• 1660226173059735376072546647333.jpg
    1660226173059735376072546647333.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Sorry you're having a hard time of it. I did a search and all I could find is this:
https://www.mandmcontrols.com/037h003131-danfoss-c12-contactor-12a-220-240v-50hz
Doesn't look quite the same cosmetically but it's a CI 12 so may have the correct physical proportions - but it's 240V 50Hz which is ok. However it lacks the add-on start switch module, though I can see where it fits. I wonder if they are transferable, ie if the old one would fit & work?

I suggest that you might phone or email those people because they might know enough to advise. I can't see anything on ebay.

I may have a suitable overload relay - if you get hold of the right contactor, let me know.

Sorry you're having a hard time of it. I did a search and all I could find is this:
https://www.mandmcontrols.com/037h003131-danfoss-c12-contactor-12a-220-240v-50hz
Doesn't look quite the same cosmetically but it's a CI 12 so may have the correct physical proportions - but it's 240V 50Hz which is ok. However it lacks the add-on start switch module, though I can see where it fits. I wonder if they are transferable, ie if the old one would fit & work?

I suggest that you might phone or email those people because they might know enough to advise. I can't see anything on ebay.

I may have a suitable overload relay - if you get hold of the right contactor, let me know.
Hey thanks dude, I have ordered the contactor and relay from eBay (the correct ones hopefully!) but I may well end up with more paperweights! Would you have any use for the two they sent me? You're welcome to them free if they can be of any use to you

The issues you have experienced are why it is much easier to just buy new components and then fit and forget, it should be an easy task with it being single phase and if you wanted to keep the original look of the machine with it's starter buttons then just use the buttons and fit a contactor/overload in an enclosure elsewhere with the buttons wired to it.

Back