Startrite 352 update: re-furb and first cuts!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbs

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a follow-up to my post of 14th May (see https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/352- ... 41714.html )

Recap: E-bay purchase, which was delivered in a bit of a state.

1. Negotiated £80 refund from seller. :)
2. Bought a complete set of guides form A.L.T. Saws (c. £100 ) (':(')
3. Took most things apart and re-assembled cast table with shims to true up as far as possible
4. Removed the GEC 750W 3000rpm three-phase motor and replaced with an almost-new Brook Hanson 1.2kW 750rpm slugger which I happened to have on the shelf....
This is not a trivial mod: the slower motor needed a 280mm pulley to maintain the blade speed, and the centre needed lowering c. 50mm to allow clearance with the lower-wheel pulley (itself 250mm). Plus of course a new longer belt. And a taper-lock bush.
4709051698_eab6a83338.jpg

Rear view:
4708410115_9dba58d5e4.jpg

5. The front fence rail was a bit worn, so I drilled & tapped new fixings so it could be replaced "upside-down"
6. Added a heath-robinson fence-extension to allow more accurate deep re-sawing (fabricated from 15mm Tufnol sheet, supported by 1" square ali tube with ali bar inside).

4709052792_dd894e8c2d_b.jpg

4709052402_fea9ac3f74.jpg

7. Bought a new 3tpi x 5/8 fastcut blade from Ian at Tuff saws.

The motor is driven from an ABB inverter, so it can be soft-started and electronically-braked.

First trial cuts are on a small 4" chunk of cherry, sawn into 1/2" slices.

4709095488_95697e7292_b.jpg

Having never owned/used a band-saw before, I'm so impressed by the thin kerf (1mm compared to 3.5mm on the circular saw).

If anyone has any information on optimum blade-speeds for different blades/timbers. I'd very much appreciate some guidance. The original Startrite options were 4000ft/min or 1800ft/min: there's quite a gap between. With the inverter I can of course select any arbitrary speed.

John

Very well done John, it looks like you have worked wonders. =D> =D> I would certainly give myself a well deserved pat on the back if I was you. :D

Cheers

Mike

Looks like you've done a great job, there! :)

I'd try to keep the speed up as high as you can when cutting wood, even for very deep cuts. Slower speeds are generally only used for cutting non-ferrous metals and plastics, so they don't melt and bond themselves to the blade. :wink:

OPJ":1iyuhkkx said:

I'd try to keep the speed up as high as you can when cutting wood, even for very deep cuts. Slower speeds are generally only used for cutting non-ferrous metals and plastics, so they don't melt and bond themselves to the blade. :wink:

Olly the instruction manual for my new bandsaw tells you how to change the speed from 850m//min to 430m/min (3300SFPM 1600SFPM), but it does not give any details of what each speed is for. Would you recormend that I keep it on the high speed? http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=48

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":2on2zvsg said:
OPJ":2on2zvsg said:

Olly the instruction manual for my new bandsaw tells you how to change the speed from 850m//min to 430m/min (3300SFPM 1600SFPM), but it does not give any details of what each speed is for. Would you recormend that I keep it on the high speed? http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=48

Cheers

Mike

As Olly said, just keep the machine on the fast speed and use the slower speed for non ferrous metal and plastic. If you are cutting a lot of hardwood, then a slow speed can help improve blade life, but generally keep the speed high and adjust your feed rate depending on what's being cut and density of what's being cut and everything should be ok :D

Ian

johnbs":13k54jhp said:
Mike:

That looks like a serious band-saw. How long have you had it?

John

Hi John, a little over a week, but frustratingly I have not even put it together yet :cry: I am waiting for a mobile base that has been very kindly offered to me, and as there is only my wife and myself going to be here for a number of weeks to come we need to keep it as light as possible to get it onto the base.

Ian wrote;

As Olly said, just keep the machine on the fast speed and use the slower speed for non ferrous metal and plastic. If you are cutting a lot of hardwood, then a slow speed can help improve blade life, but generally keep the speed high and adjust your feed rate depending on what's being cut and density of what's being cut and everything should be ok

Ian

Many thanks Ian. :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":3jcnsleh said:

Mike

Saw is looking good. As for blades, speed and cutting - doesn't you saw have a plate by the tesioning display, mine has

352plate.jpg

I assume you have the proper manual, but if not then http://www.drosera.f2s.com/startrite_352_manual.pdf is a scan of what I have.

Misterfish

Back