Startrite 352 rear blade guides

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
A while ago I posted that because I'm a skinflint and replacement TCT tipped rods guides for the back of blade support are too expensive I stuck TCT tips to the rods using JB Weld, I made a couple extra fro 10mm mild steel rod and to date they've worked very well - until recently when I've lost 3 tips in quick succession - Note to self DON'T USE BLUNT BLADES ffs!!!

Co-incidentally, I use tct tips in a home made turning tool for alloy and brass on the wood lathe and was changing a blunt tip, :idea: Drill and tap a 4mm thread into the end of the 10mm rod and fix the used tips using a 4mm countersunk machine screw and threadlock. Could still use JB Weld or epoxy but I don't think it needs it.

Those tips aren't expensive off ebay and you could use any size or even shape as long as they have a countersunk hole and you can get a machine screw below the surface. If I was buying for this use I'd probably go for round tips.

Pics compare stuck on tip with screwed on.

Might be worth trying for anyone who prefers to keep the original setup rather than change to bearing guides.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 74
Never thought of that! It would be especially handy with all the bits of carbide spur knives kept about the place that aren't sharp enough for rebating with the moulder anymore.

I put a 10mm hardened untempered steel pin in place of the original brazed-on carbide rod. I hardened my own piece of silver steel but they can be bought fairly inexpensively online. After a few years of heavy use the blade has begun to wear a tiny groove in the rod, not a major issue though because the last rod had a few 5mm+ grooves in it after the carbide dropped off and after being turned several times once the groove had worn in too much! :lol: Didn't affect the use much at all to be honest.

Doh! Why didn't I think of that.
I suppose because mine don't need changing but when they do I'll know what to do.
Thanks Lons.

Back