Startrite 352 fence and t/s fence upgrades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
p.s
I
I have a 352, no fence but never missed it, curious why the pics have the fence to the left of the blade? When I t’s normal on tablesaws to have it on the right. Ian
Edit it would save removing the blade?

Because table saws dont have throats

Coming a bit late to the party, my 352 didn't have a fence when I bought it, so a bit of milling using the Super 7 on a lump of iron produced the connection to the rectangular bar shown below. Fence is a section of U-shape aluminium, with the opportunity to adjust it to allow for blade drift. Given the abuse my saw gets, it's largely academic, since the blade only cuts exactly parallel to the fence when it's brand new. For precise ripping, a point fence (my version is shown on an old post somewhere) is the only way to be sure of constant thickness rip.
Yes, there was originally a knob for adjustment, but it had a sad accident with a heavy lump of timber, and the lash up shown works OK.

Attachments

• IMGP5071.JPG
    IMGP5071.JPG
    375.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMGP5072.JPG
    IMGP5072.JPG
    401.6 KB · Views: 15
Coming a bit late to the party, my 352 didn't have a fence when I bought it, so a bit of milling using the Super 7 on a lump of iron produced the connection to the rectangular bar shown below. Fence is a section of U-shape aluminium, with the opportunity to adjust it to allow for blade drift. Given the abuse my saw gets, it's largely academic, since the blade only cuts exactly parallel to the fence when it's brand new. For precise ripping, a point fence (my version is shown on an old post somewhere) is the only way to be sure of constant thickness rip.
Yes, there was originally a knob for adjustment, but it had a sad accident with a heavy lump of timber, and the lash up shown works OK.
Fence looks good! Needs a KIP handle so it's out of the way of the workpiece.

Mine gets bashed about a lot and I decided to re-face the blade guides. These are original from about 1978. The back guides have TC face and indestructible but the 4 blocks get thrashed. I flattened and squared up the faces on wet wet-n-dry, quite easy. Then set them up very carefully with the table off so I could see how they were close up relative to each other. Made a big difference to parallel fence cuts, + new blade.
I'd never really noticed that the top and bottom brackets were different sizes and I think I might have had them the wrong way around for some time! Accounts for some difficult fiddling setting them up properly!
They do need careful attention and can easily be set up less than perfectly

IMG_4493.JPG

Last edited:
The second question is, at some point i want to change the fence on my multico table saw. The old one isn't quick to change sizes. It can be accurate, because it has a microadjustment bit, but takes a while to set. For a while ive been thinking about getting this one:

https://www.axminstertools.com/axmi...Ye-qgiq5ZRtHM1D5xilgGWa4HTiqwJRAaAv3lEALw_wcB
Does anyone have one of these? Are they good?

Thanks, kev

They’re a good, solid fence, easy to fit and to adjust.

Update..... after much delay ( due to the seller having a new account and ebay witholding the money ) i went to pick it up today. Unfortunately when we plugged it in to test it, it wouldnt start up.
We swapped the fuse, tested the socket with another appliance ( worked ) tried the rotary isolator in both positions, made sure both doors were closed and locked etc, but no joy.
Their company sparky had put a new plug on it and pat tested it, so its a bit of a mystery.
Anyways, I took a few photos, and am hoping you guys can help.... assuming it works, i still want it, but it seems the height guard and bearing assembly setup is not correct. The yellow cover is at an angle to the body and doesnt go up past the wheel. Might be twisted or it may be incorrectly fitted, but the rod which passes within the body and gets clamoed off to set the height, is flopping about inside when not clamped. It looks like something is missing at the top to retain it? Can someone please take a photo of theirs when you have time?
No rush, it'll be a couple of days before the sparky gets to see it.

The tyres seem ok. Lower bearing good, top bearing, i couldnt really tell.... it moved top to bottom and side to side a lot, but presumably thats play in the adjuster and tension setup because theres no tension? I thought itd be stiff side to side.......

Annoyingly ive got a guy coming tuesday to look at my existing b.s 😔

Thanks, kev

Attachments

• 20211211_102719.jpg
    20211211_102719.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211211_102645.jpg
    20211211_102645.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211211_102642.jpg
    20211211_102642.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211211_102628.jpg
    20211211_102628.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 22
There's a safety catch which switches off if either door is open. Worth having a look - it can be obstructed by dust piling up in the chassis, or just out of adjustment.
The blade guard has been trimmed for no obvious reason. It looks different from my old 352 so maybe it's a later model or it's been modifed.

Last edited:
Yep, with regards the door safety catches, i could see two protruding metal bits which would be moved when the door catches were closed, so as long they are working correctly it should be ok. Hopefully their sparky will work it out. I did tell them that the doors have a safety switch.....

I dont know why it was cut. The current owner got this one and an axminster b.s from a colledge clearout. They stuck them in storage and never touched either machine, so decided to sell them on....

Yep, with regards the door safety catches, i could see two protruding metal bits which would be moved when the door catches were closed, so as long they are working correctly it should be ok. Hopefully their sparky will work it out. I did tell them that the doors have a safety switch.....

I dont know why it was cut. The current owner got this one and an axminster b.s from a colledge clearout. They stuck them in storage and never touched either machine, so decided to sell them on....
Not just the blade guard is different, several other things too. I think later model than mine but also modified.

If i had been thinking a bit clearer, i should have got photos of the plates etc, but my mind wasnt quite with it 😔

If i had been thinking a bit clearer, i should have got photos of the plates etc, but my mind wasnt quite with it 😔
Bearings no prob they should be easy to replace and not pricy but the other details sound like they need looking at very closely.

Back