Startrite 352 fence and t/s fence upgrades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldkev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I stumbled across a 352 selling on ebay a couple of hours from me. I willed myself to close the app and walk away. I bought it 🤨

Anyways, it doesnt have a fence. A quick search shows they arent readily available, so firstly, does anyone have any recommendations for 'universal fences' like the axminster one?
https://www.axminstertools.com/axmi...HSBXvRoBQ63882f0pRmieZ1BiI1YOQiYaAv_XEALw_wcBIn the questions section it seems you undo 3 knobs under the rail to change blades. I know its a cheapy, but I'm not ripping veneer.

The second question is, at some point i want to change the fence on my multico table saw. The old one isn't quick to change sizes. It can be accurate, because it has a microadjustment bit, but takes a while to set. For a while ive been thinking about getting this one:

https://www.axminstertools.com/axmi...Ye-qgiq5ZRtHM1D5xilgGWa4HTiqwJRAaAv3lEALw_wcB
Does anyone have one of these? Are they good?

Thanks, kev

Does it still have the rail?
I think that is an unbeatable design as the fence simply lifts off with no faffing about,
If I need remove the fence with my machine, then I have to take off the blade.
At least I don't have to remove the fence rail which really is a PITA

I should have ditched the original round rail and got some flat stock for the job.

Bandsaw fence antics - Copy.JPG

The square rails make sense to me now

and it doesn't need be a complicated affair.

Plenty of threads on these in the archives
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/startrite-352-an-overview.64852/
All the best
Tom

Last edited:
I'd definitely wait until you get the saw as Startrite rail and fence designs have differed a good deal over the years. It could have a round or rectangular rail which will obviously alter your search and any generic fences that may be available. You could strike lucky and possibly be able to fabricate something suitable yourself.

Colin

I upgraded my 352 fence to a Kreg KMS7200 that I picked up second-hand on ebay. A much better fence than the original, but required a couple of new holes to be drilled in the front of the table. It also requires one additional bolt to be removed to replace the blade but really no major shakes.

I have the orignal fence and rail in the workshop. I'll dig out a few pics and I'm sure we can come to an arrangement should they be suitable for your machine.

I put a kreg fence on mine. had to drill and tap 3 holes in the front apron of the top. it's a really good fence tbh. mine was also missing in action!

You could strike lucky and possibly be able to fabricate something suitable yourself.

Yep, i did think about that but dismissed it fairly quickly. Not that I'm lazy, but more that the time spent needs to equal less in value than the lost time working. If the cheap axminster one is rigid enough for general ripping, that'll probably do. I made a fence for a planer once, used the 2080 extrusion..... cost a bit.

I have the orignal fence and rail in the workshop. I'll dig out a few pics and I'm sure we can come to an arrangement should they be suitable for your machine

Thanks fitzroy, when ive got it I'll take some photos to compare 👍

How did you get on with your tyres tom??
Was only able to get back in the shed last week, should have some answers in a week or two, as there's too many variables yet, and need to investigate some top wheel, hopefully only bearing/shaft issues, and have only dressed the lower wheel edge so far as I'm eager to see if a noticeable difference can be achieved if both edges are crisp.
will be getting a new belt of the right size also, and currently mucking about making a better straight edge

I have a 352, no fence but never missed it, curious why the pics have the fence to the left of the blade? When I t’s normal on tablesaws to have it on the right. Ian
Edit it would save removing the blade?

@Cabinetman
That is an interesting question why the column is to the left of the wheels on most machines.
I presume it made/makes sense in many ways, but I'd love to know why also.
Can't say it looks anything but strange to see a backwards machine

Screenshot-2021-12-2 Making The Famous Swedish Butterknife - YouTube.png

I use the fence on the left side and I feel it's safer to be able to view from the open side of the machine however with the original fence which just lifts off it's only a second or two to fit to the right hand side if you want. capacity that side is more limited however due to the length of the bar.

I fit at taller alloy sub fence to the original when slicing veneers.

I havent thought about it before... i always put it to the left on the kity 🤔 but right on the t/s..... maybe its for people who are ambifencerous? 😆🤣

Now I’m annoyed, it’s definitely in the workshop somewhere but can I find it, can I hell! Given up for now.

This is the Kreg, also installed in the left. The far left hole was the one I added to support the substantial overhang on the side.
C9D0B213-CF25-4AB5-8322-71E7F7FC7D72.jpeg7C19CA45-7491-4E1E-9D7D-A35B1C95181C.jpeg8047AB4E-A726-48C9-B16E-573C6C3D60DB.jpeg

All the 352 fences are available but it depends on the model, as what fence you can have is subject to which table is on the machine.

It looks like im going to be delayed getting it. The seller is new to ebay so the payment is apparently held by ebay for 3 to 5 days. Next week I'm on a kitchen fit, so i wont be able to collect until next weekend 😑

Back