Startrite 352 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
Hello all

Came across a listing for a Startrite 352 single phase bandsaw on plumtree for just under £400. Wasn't sure if it was a good price.

The listing just says in working condition, blade needs realignment.

I do not know if that entails new guides or just a bit of tinkering.

I have been considering one for a while now.
My need is to be able to resaw hardwood planks (oak/ beech, sapele, walnut and occasional maple) into thinner stock for smaller projects. (Anything from 1 foot to 6 feet long, resaw height is 4 to 8 inches)
Hobby use of course.

I have never owned or used a bandsaw. And it has been prohibiting to see the stock I have (thicker planks but needing thinner stuff for smaller projects) and not being able to safely and efficiently thin it down. Also, no idea about what to look for in a used bandsaw of that age to ensure I'm not buying a lemon.

Have been reading most of the old posts on the matter. This model of startrite has mixed reviews for resaw capacity I am after, especially for a single phase version.

Thoughts?

352 is an excellent machine.
"blade needs realignment" could mean anything from normal minor routine adjustment (in which case why would they mention it?) to replacement parts (blade guides, wheel tyres etc) or damaged machine. It's a gamble! Might just need a new blade.
8" resaw in hardwood pushing it a bit but not impossible - personally I'd do it with deep cuts both sides over the TS and just take out the middle with the band saw

Last edited:
352 is an excellent machine.
"blade needs realignment" could mean anything from normal minor routine adjustment (in which case why would they mention it?) to replacement parts or damaged machine. It's a gamble!
8" resaw in hardwood pushing it a bit bit not impossible - personally I'd do it with deep cuts both sides over the TS and just take out the middle with the band saw
Not a bad idea, but I was trying to avoid the table saw method as of have to work without the blade guard, which means an awful lot of dust not collected at the source but chucked into the air. Not to mention, my tiny table saw (60 -65 mm max height, I think) may not take it unless I do it in a few passes.

Not a bad idea, but I was trying to avoid the table saw method as of have to work without the blade guard, which means an awful lot of dust not collected at the source but chucked into the air. Not to mention, my tiny table saw (60 -65 mm max height, I think) may not take it unless I do it in a few passes.
If you deep cut the dust all goes down below as the blade is completely covered by the workpiece.

My second-hand 352 has been regularly abused, asked to cut to the absolute limit of its capacity and will still be going strong long after I'm gone. Make sure you use the right blade for the right job and don't try to use a blunt blade for anything (do as I say, not as I do.....).
Whether £400 for a solid bit of kit is high, no comment. But don't think you'd regret its purchase.

I had some very good and unexpected bonus in 1991....... so I got a 352 in the last half-hour-price-knock-down at at woody show at Ally Pally.
I can guarantee that it'll fit in a Sierra Estate with the seats down. Door shut.

Still going strong, (apart from a little water staining on the table......)

Excellent kit.

That's a shame BP, they are quite sought after so may be co-incidence, I've had my old 352 for about 6 years and no regrets whatsoever. Try Tuffsaws for blades when you do get a bandsaw.

Yep, thats a great price 😯 nothing like that down this was goes for less than 750. I'd have gone for it!!

Well, when I kick the bucket there'll be an old-style, old-school 352 going for about £10,000.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You'll have to get it from deepest Wales...............
It'll fit in the back of a Sierra Estate with the seats down and the door shut.

All best!:):):)

Last edited:
Well, when I kick the bucket there'll be an old-style, old-school 352 going for about £10,000.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You'll have to get it from deepest Wales...............
It'll fit in the back of a Sierra Estate with the seats down and the door shut.

All best!:):):)

I dont think you can get sierras any more 😆🤣

1ph 352's in good condition usually go for around a grand with all the accessories, bear in mind these are industrial bandsaws, not hobby machines, so you got a good deal there if its in good condition.

There are about 4 different 352 machines though, and then a few minor variations, some have 2 speeds mechanically, some electronically, if I were you i'd take the belt off and note its number down if its not wore off, as there are about 7 different belts and only 2 or 3 manuals (without the variation's), Startrite never logged any serial numbers so it can be a bit of a minefield.

Usually the main cause of misalignment in cuts is not changing blades when scribing and ripping, although a 3/8 in 6 skip should do everything reasonably well, if you change the blade out and its still off then adjust the machine, there are a few good vids on youtube showing tune ups, the Record Power one is spot on, and as RP and Startrite were under the same umbrella company you cant go wrong .

It should deal with resawing no problem as long as your not stressing the capacity, as a general rule of thumb if your vertical and horizontal capacity is for example 8" both ways, dont resaw any stock bigger than 6", this isnt critical more convenient and safety measures, it should resaw small stock no probs as this machine was aimed at cabinet makers, small joinery shops, schools etc, but you wont resaw a sleeper or an Oak beam!
I know thats ridiculous but I have seen it.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
but you wont resaw a sleeper or an Oak beam! I know thats ridiculous but I have seen it.

Oh yes it will! But it'll be very unhappy about it............ I'm slowly changing these, into these using a 352. With a new blade it'll resaw the sleeper at full depth, but once the blade has a little wear it really starts to wander, and the motor/inverter struggles (three phase machine on inverter), and the shed lights start to flicker due to some weird interaction between inverter and too small a supply.

Regards the guides there is a post on here somewhere regards an easy retrofit with off the shelf bearings. The original post (by Racers of this parish) seems to have gone but pulled photo from another post below and the bearings were 628 2RS with M8 washers stacked behind. There is lots of debate on here regards if this is required and the adequacy of the original guides, lets not start that again here ;).

Fitz,

Sleeper.jpg

chair.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

I've found the stock blade guides on the 352 are a bit basic and prone to wear.
I've had the same basic original guides since new (1976 ish). The machine had been heavily used.
The back guides are as good as new. The side pieces I've had to perk up a bit once or twice - flattening the faces and filing out the bolt hole so they will close enough to take up the wear. If they needed replacing I'd take them to a machinist and ask for copies in tool steel. They are very simple.

Last edited:
Oh yes it will! But it'll be very unhappy about it............ I'm slowly changing these, into these using a 352. With a new blade it'll resaw the sleeper at full depth, but once the blade has a little wear it really starts to wander, and the motor/inverter struggles (three phase machine on inverter), and the shed lights start to flicker due to some weird interaction between inverter and too small a supply.

Regards the guides there is a post on here somewhere regards an easy retrofit with off the shelf bearings. The original post (by Racers of this parish) seems to have gone but pulled photo from another post below and the bearings were 628 2RS with M8 washers stacked behind. There is lots of debate on here regards if this is required and the adequacy of the original guides, lets not start that again here ;).

Fitz,

View attachment 121654
View attachment 121653
View attachment 121655

Well I did say 'stressing the capacity'

Fair play, nice work

Latest posts

Back