Startrite 352 bandsaw key required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardsth

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I've just picked up a Startrite 352 Bandsaw from a liquidation sale, and the starter key is missing. Are they generic across models and easily obtained, or unique. I know that it did work as it came from a company that was in business last month. The blade door locks are opened so that's OK

Cheers Rik

I have a 352 with key operated switch. It annoyed mw so much when I bought it that I took the switch apart. I cannot recall how but I managed to disengage the key requirement that is built into the red stop switch.

Colin

Hmmm. Mine has 2 keys, one on each door ( same profile )
My saw had 1 bent key and 1 ok. I got 2 new keys cut. You can always take the lock out the door and take it to the locksmith if yours is like mine.

This is the key off my machine - it has the chrome, protruding lock unit, which may have been superseded in later models. The key has a number, but whether it's the same on all models with that type of lock, I don't know.

DSCF5593.JPG

DSCF5594_cr.jpg

Interested to find out if they are all the same or not, i would imagine they are a common cut as they are for saftey not security. I would also like to get one cut if they are universal

For the doors, the locks will have a manufacturer name and a number stamped on them, the number is the variant of the key. Easily bought online.
I think the other your describing is the Emergency Stop, it’s usually cheaper and easier to just replace the e-stop with a new one either with or without a key.

Right then, I had a very interesting chat with Lee down at ALT Saws and told him of my predicament, and he informed me that they never came with a key operated switch, but they were fitted as a modification when used in a commercial setting. Ie factories, schools or colleges. So if I wanted to fire my saw up, all I had to do was simply bypass the switch with a terminal block. it was a case of removing the top wheel, removing the top case, then the switch case. A half hour job.
I now have the choice of either replacing the switch with a new one with a key, or getting a locksmith to cut me a key.

either way, I’m a happy camper.

Back