Startrite 352 bandsaw key required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Richardsth

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

I've just picked up a Startrite 352 Bandsaw from a liquidation sale, and the starter key is missing. Are they generic across models and easily obtained, or unique. I know that it did work as it came from a company that was in business last month. The blade door locks are opened so that's OK

Cheers Rik

eribaMotters

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 352 with key operated switch. It annoyed mw so much when I bought it that I took the switch apart. I cannot recall how but I managed to disengage the key requirement that is built into the red stop switch.

Colin

baldkev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Mine has 2 keys, one on each door ( same profile )
My saw had 1 bent key and 1 ok. I got 2 new keys cut. You can always take the lock out the door and take it to the locksmith if yours is like mine.

dickm

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the key off my machine - it has the chrome, protruding lock unit, which may have been superseded in later models. The key has a number, but whether it's the same on all models with that type of lock, I don't know.

DSCF5593.JPG

DSCF5594_cr.jpg

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
Interested to find out if they are all the same or not, i would imagine they are a common cut as they are for saftey not security. I would also like to get one cut if they are universal

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
For the doors, the locks will have a manufacturer name and a number stamped on them, the number is the variant of the key. Easily bought online.
I think the other your describing is the Emergency Stop, it’s usually cheaper and easier to just replace the e-stop with a new one either with or without a key.

Richardsth

Established Member
Reaction score
Right then, I had a very interesting chat with Lee down at ALT Saws and told him of my predicament, and he informed me that they never came with a key operated switch, but they were fitted as a modification when used in a commercial setting. Ie factories, schools or colleges. So if I wanted to fire my saw up, all I had to do was simply bypass the switch with a terminal block. it was a case of removing the top wheel, removing the top case, then the switch case. A half hour job.
I now have the choice of either replacing the switch with a new one with a key, or getting a locksmith to cut me a key.

either way, I’m a happy camper.