Startrite 352 bandsaw capacitors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmckay

Reaction score
Does anybody know a source of replacement capacitors for my 20 year old ( AEG motor) Startrite 352 Bandsaw. I'm assuming its the capacitor since the motor runs once it is manually turned. Many thanks ian

I have gone to the motors shop with the old capacitor to have it tested and get a new one(testing is free where I am from). There's not a whole lot of money to buy new caps and if you at unsure what to get the motor shop is a good place. Its not away the cap though, i would check the centrifugal switch inside the motor to see if its dirty or the contacts need cleaning. if the end bell are open you can sometimes see if it working but a dirty switch will cause the same problem for starting too.

Bob is the man though and he may have more to add like how you could home test the cap.

jack

Did someone call???

Startrite fitted an number of different brands of motor over the years and also machines of this age could well have had a motor swap from 3 phase to single or a replacement.
Home testing of caps is easy when you know how and are used to dealing with high voltages. I must have fixed hundreds of motors over the years and with these symptoms, virtually all were due to capacitor failures and as they are cheap enough (don't ever buy from the manufacturers as a spare part!!), Substitution is the best way. In fact unless you have a well stocked electronic junk box, the parts to knock up a tester will likely cost more than a new capacitor itself.

Can you post me a photo of the markings on the capacitor and maybe one of the rating plate on the motor. As you are a new member photos on here might not be allowed but send to [email protected] and I'll advise the best source.

hth

Bob

9fingers":z6pnboil said:
.....Can you post me a photo of the markings on the capacitor and maybe one of the rating plate on the motor. As you are a new member photos on here might not be allowed but send to [email protected] and ...
Images can be attached to a new members posts.
Only restriction being that the image file size must be below 256kb in size. Most images of less than 1024 pixels in JPG format will be well below that.
It's just off site url links that are restricted.

Thanks for all your responses, I will get busy with the camera tomorrow, although the markings on the capacitor are mosty obscured by spray paint .....all the best, Ian.

The key information will almost certainly be a 2 digit number followed by either 'mfd', 'mf' or 'uF'

Sometimes that number is also stated on the rating plate.

Bob

Thanks all - have sent you, Bob, a couple of photos, which don't show much but do show more than the eye can see (or is it just my age). Is it possible to test a capacitor to find out what rating it is? And who would I go to to do this? I live near Bath,
all thoughts gratefully recieved.
Ian.

ianmckay":hd27bxkc said:
....Is it possible to test a capacitor to find out what rating it is? ...
Seeing as you were on line when I started typing and Bob may not be back for a while , i'll stick my oar in.

Yes it is possible to test serviceable capacitors to check the capacity.

Unfortunately as it would appear that yours is already defective this renders testing impossible as the internals will be shorted out.

Totally agree Chas.

I'm now in direct email contact with the OP as the issue is one of a potentially dead capacitor with obscured markings.

Nil desperandum!

Bob

According to my Startrite 352 wiring diagram, (vintage about 1982) the capacitor is 25 mf at 450 v.

Can't see the actual markings - buried in deep in the machine. Hope that this helps.
Shouldn't be too difficult to obtain one of those off the shelf.

Howard in Wales

Argus":1mguwgtl said:

According to my Startrite 352 wiring diagram, (vintage about 1982) the capacitor is 25 mf at 450 v.

Can't see the actual markings - buried in deep in the machine. Hope that this helps.
Shouldn't be too difficult to obtain one of those off the shelf.

Howard in Wales

Thanks Howard,

Your machine seems to be a similar vintage. Please could you check the make/model of your motor please and maybe post a photo of the rating plate?

Startrite used a range of different motors and even for motors of the same power rating, they can use different capacitor values as it all depends on the design of the motor.

A (very) rough rule of thumb is 30-40 mfd per horsepower for motors of this age so I'd want to check the 25 is a good match before recommending to the OP that he buy one that just might be too small ( I have a reputation to maintain :lol: )

TIA

Bob

Bob,

The manual states the motor as 4 pole - 750W (1HP) - so 25 mfd is about right, I think.

If you want the manual I can mail it - about 1.3mb - send a PM.

Being a British machine, the wiring diagram does differ slightly from the as-wired article, but it's readable and straightforward..

Reading the number plate is easier said than done, needs a mirror and a torch and a bit of gymnastics on my part, but I'll have a go later and let you know.

PS.

I've had a look at the plate and there's not much more to add.

On my machine the capacitor is encased in its own little kennel, piggy-backed on the motor. There's nowt written on the outside.

The motor is an ordinary E class single phase, 750W, nominal 1400 RPM (4 pole) made by AEG. Apart from the usual manufacturer's numbers, enclosure ratings etc., that's all the relevant info.

For the OP:

From what you have said, it is most likely a dud capacitor. In any case it is probably the cheapest first option to replace it.
You can buy a capacitor for a few quid, and while you may increase the capacitance slightly from the stated 25 mfd, I recommend that you DON'T decrease the rated voltage.
Mine is a generous 450 volts. A bit more than the peak RMS value at 230 volts, but wirth every penny!

If you intend fitting a new one in the same enclosure, take it out and measure it, otherwide make up a bracket if it's a differing size.

Good luck.

You lot are bloomin' brilliant - thanks so much for all the efforts on my behalf.
Will be out of contact for a couple of days, but can't wait to get back,
all best
Ian

Hi Ian,

You will have seen Argus's post regarding the capacitor value of 25 uF. He has also confirmed that he has the AEG motor like yours/

If you need a tagged version without end cap ebay item 250678476447
A tagged version with insulating end cap I suggest item no 260683239171
or the leaded equivalent is item 250771054808.
I've used these guys before. There are other suppliers with similar products who are possibly just as good.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Bob

Thanks Howard. Ive got the manual now via the email you sent to Bob. Really useful and my machine didn't come with one. Hope nothing was ruptured in your quest for motor information. Having dismantled my machine I know how heavy and awkward it is. Anyway a new capacitor is on its way. many thanks to all of you. The Forum is a power indeed!
Ian

Back