startrite 351 band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a thought at the moment iv'e jot a startrite 351 single phase band saw and was thinking of a upgrade it's got to be single phase and if possible more powerful band saw possible new ?? what would you recommend :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Mock

Iv'e had a look on e bay to see what my band saw was worth but could not find any for sale the wife as offered me £500 for a newer one plus what i would get for mine ? :lol:

mock":3c5vr4lb said:
Iv'e had a look on e bay to see what my band saw was worth but could not find any for sale the wife as offered me £500 for a newer one plus what i would get for mine ? :lol:

last one for sale there was item 331362857707 and went for £280

Use ?
I've really no idea what you'll get for your current one mate, although you may need to supplement it further to upgrade, imo.
Check out Bob's Record Power BS400 review on here to whet your appetite, and there's a pre-cursor to that thread, that discusses some alternatives.
There's also a Hammer that I think's an upgrade:
http://uk.feldershop.com/en/Sawing/Machines/Hammer-N3800.html

-and an ebay listing that may be of interest:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SICAR-SIP...ies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&hash=item1e9889d801

Sorry about being over-budget, although some more knowledgeable than myself will be around soon :)

Thank's for that just for arguments sake we will say £250 to £300 for mine plus £500 = £750 to £800 what would do you recommend for that sort of money thank's iv'e been reading the review's on the record rs 400

Imo, probably the Record 400 mate.
The last list price i've seen for your current BS was from around 2012 iirc, and was £1k, and most have gone up a fair bit since then. My concern is with your use of the term 'upgrade', you'll have more power and depth of cut with the Record, i think, but I don't know about your current machines build quality to compare :)

To be honest i don't do a lot of work regarding a band saw or any woodwork.. I have made a few band saw box 's and that's about it but as the wife offered i wouldn't mind having something with a little more power and reliability thank's for all you'r help .Ill leave you all know what i decide
Mock

Not sure why you would need more power on one of those for bandsaw boxes and the like ?

Perhaps for rip sawing green timber at full depth you might benefit, but what makes you feel you need more power ? Maybe the belt is slipping or the blades are wrong type or blunt ?

If you do need more power then a simple motor upgrade to 3hp or similar (double the original or thereabouts) for £150 or less will see it munch through anything you can lift onto the table :)

Cheers, Paul

Yeah, keep the Startrite and buy something else. What about a new 42" TV for the workshop!

If you want the Record BS400 go to their website and find which shows they are attending and then go along and make them an offer I heard they will discount to £800 at a show but I have nothing to demonstrate that number.

I bought a RP belt and disc sander at a good discount on the last day at one of the shows. They wanted me to wait till the show closed but relented and let me take it away at lunch time. Always worth making an offer as they'd prefer to sell it than take it back.

The cheapest RECORD B S 400 BAND SAW i can find £996 to £1000 iv'e also been in-touch with RE: Yandle and Sons Ltd who are doing a show in Feb and April and on request i can have a demo . I would like to go to the demo but it all comes down to money it's about 130 miles from me each way so i'm thinking if i go to the show would i get the saw cheaper ? If so would it be enough to cover my day out plus fuel ect decision's decision;s decision;s :roll: :roll: :roll:

Back