Startrite 310 - Can it run single phase?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazer

Reaction score
Hi there folks

Looking at a Startrite 310 planer/thicknesser on marketplace. Seller says it's 3 phase. Looking around online there's single phase one's being talked about...question is did they make two types?(single and 3) or can I run this machine on single?

Feel like I already know this answer after looking at union graduate lathes and the carry on with converting but thought it worth an ask.

Cheers all

Both types would have been made. You are looking at work and £s to convert. Could be more complex than a lathe as there could well be two motors.
Read my paper about running 3 phase motors from single phase supplies

Startrite originally offered their machines in both 1ph & 3ph, they even sold a few machines in 110v for site work, 3ph is better but a luxury for some, 1ph motors are expensive, as are inverters and you cannot wire a 3ph motor to run on 240v, not in England anyway, also a lot of Startrite machines had imperial motors on, you may struggle to find a modern equivalent or close.

Such a shame we don't have 3 phase supply to domestic properties in the UK. One of my customers has a house in France, he says that most properties are wired up for 3 phase. Well, at least we got 240v AC. Unlike our American friends who are only allowed to play with 110v

Such a shame we don't have 3 phase supply to domestic properties in the UK.
It is a possibility that this may change as electric vehicles take over because these fast chargers require 3 phase, otherwise you have a slow charge and long wait.

and you cannot wire a 3ph motor to run on 240v, not in England anyway
You can use either an invertor to produce three phase from single upto about 3Kw, gives variable speed but motor torque peaks at 50Hz and can only run a single load or you could use a digital phase converter which allows you to use larger power motors at 400Vac three phase, no variable speed but can run more than one load.

3 phase much smoother. Just ask what the rating of the motor is and whether it is dual voltage, ie can be configured for 415 or 240v 3 phase, if it's reasonably modern it probably can. The motor plate will give all the information you need. Then see how much a suitable vfd will cost, and factor that in. You often find that smaller 3 phase machines can go quite cheap, just because people are put off by the 3 phase, but it's really easy to set up a vfd. You will probably end up paying a fair bit more for a single phase, if you can find one.

Such a shame we don't have 3 phase supply to domestic properties in the UK.
My house has three phase, but I haven't bothered putting it in my workshop. I only have one three phase unit and a VFD was easier and cheaper.

Not an electrician but I think a lot of startrite motors are dual voltage, ie., the 3ph ones can run on 1ph with an inverter, not much to buy and set up these days. This is the ratings plate on a little 3ph bandsaw I was looking at last week

D5FA38D4-24C5-4EC5-B4E3-92163AF5CCA8.jpeg

Back