Startrite 14s 5 Welding Attachment?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyB

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up this bandsaw recently. Inspected it before I brought it, however machine was in a position that I couldn't open the door and see the tires. Just hoped for the best. On delivery they looked good.

There was not a huge amount of info I could find. I paid £400 for it inc delivery so I am hoping that was in the right price bracket. Was looking more at the 352 which is a more common Startrite bandsaw. This one looks quite a bit more beefier, the table is massive. It has a fence but more designed for sheet metal. Could do with a taller fence. Blade guides are metal blocks.

This bandsaw is more designed for metal but it has wood on the speed label (3000fpm) so hopefully it will be ok with my needs.
It has also come with a blade welder which is quite unusual and wondered if any one had any experience with one?

Startrite bandsaw by jamie skinner, on Flickr

It has come with a blade welding attachment. Just wondering if any one has any experience with such a machine? Any manuals etc?

Ordered a VFD for the machine as its 3 phase. Not sure if this will effect the welder part at all. More investigation is probably needed.
Brook Motors 710rpm 50hz 1.5hp 3 phase 240v 440v star & delta

Im going to have to remove the table and motor to enable me to lift it through the house. Heavy thing!

You gave bought what IMO is one the best 14” bandsaws ever made. Absolutely perfect for cutting wood and metal. It has an incredibly rigid back that will allow you to tension a 3/4” blade for Resawing properly.
The blade change is one of the easiest and fastest of any saw.....I’ve owned most brands of bandsaw and the 14S5 is the only one I’ve ever regretted selling. I have a Felder at the mo. Which isn’t a patch on the 14S5.

The blade welder is normally single phase. However, unless your planning on buying blade material not much use!

The fence is perfect, especially if you have the micro adjuster with it. Usual is to tap a couple of holes on the fence to allow a false fence to be added for resawing stuff / adding jigs.

There should be a selection of metal insets that are specific for each blade width and thickness. They are eye watering expensive to buy new.....they are still made.....and do wear out. However, an old bowling ball provides a source of the best material to make your own for buttons. Lignin Vitae is self lubricating and very hard / dense. Used to be used on most big resales! Old bowling balls are made of the genuine old stuff that you can’t get anymore.

At £400 it was a bargain. Well done.

I would concur with everythng Deema says
I have a 14s5 but without the blade welder
surely yours is a 14s 10 though with the knob in the top pulley which actuates a 2 speed gearbox
Blade welders are great to have if you are wanting to cut internals or buy a reel of bandstock to make your own blades
I would say that the fence isnt the original one..... its a cast iron block with a microadjuster on it and a cast blade perhaps 2inch wide by 3/4 high and it only just goes past the blade
I sold mine on ebay and bought the axminster large fence which is great for resawing as you can place the blade upright about 5 inches or the blade flat on the table about 1 inch high

Ian

I hadn’t studied the pictures.....I was on my phone at the time. Looking at the photos, that’s not the original fence, which would have been as a Ian says, a lively heavy cast iron item.

I agree with Ian it’s definitely not a 14S5, it’s a 10 speed, but not absolutely certain it’s the 14S10, could be one of the larger variants.

SkinnyB, I have the 14s5 that I bought off Ian flh801978 about seven years ago. It is a great bandsaw, I’m sure you will have many years use out of it. I have the Manuel for it, I will have a look when I’m in the workshop tomorrow and see if there is any mention of the welding attachment.

I wouldn’t bother with the blade welder unless you fancy learning a new skill just for fun. Commercially, I usual have them removed to stop anyone hurting themselves on them

Aidan

Thanks for the help everyone. I do have a couple of broken blades I wouldn't mind trying to fix at some point so ill give it ago when its setup.

Started to take it apart today so I can get it to my workshop.
Motor was dream to get out. One tiny bolt then it just lifts up from the pivoting mechanism.

IMG_6876 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_6877 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Taking the welder attachment off. Can you believe that those four bolts have nuts behind them... Arm right up inside the machine to hold them with a spanner...
I think I may tap them to a large size to make it easier to re-install.

IMG_6879 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_6880 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

The saw has been repainted at some point by hand. Lots of drip marks and brush strokes. Removing the welder reveals the original colour.

IMG_6881 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Lots of rings to clean off, seems someone used it regularly as a coffee table.

IMG_6885 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Beast of a motor. Very heavy. Ill end up taking it apart and giving it a clean and fresh grease.
IMG_6886 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Welder unit.
IMG_6887 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_6888 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

By your recommendations seems a have a great saw then! That's good news, Cant wait to get it up and running. I have some lignum for the guides around somewhere so when I get a chance to put it back together ill look into that.

Thanks all!

Hi Skinny B
It seems your 14s5 with the welding attachment is called the 'Volant', I have scanned a few pages from the Butt Welder section of the manual and emailed it to you.

If you want to see the same type of bandsaw welder working click the link to my Instagram feed below, I posted a video of it on Sunday, last but one post.

Could you post a few pictures of the motor pivot mount reinstall and re tensioned. I have a 14 a 1 which was in rough shape when I got it.

Latest posts

Back