Startrite 146 Bandsaw repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheik Hans

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I wonder if anyone can tell me from the pictures if something is missing from this Blade Guide assembley . I've had this Bandsaw mothballed in the workshop for far too long and its time i got it going or got it gone ... Startrite 146/2737 Three wheels Three phase ... Looking to see if repair is viable And also where i could get info/spares .I know its a tad old .
Cheers

. View attachment 106583View attachment 106584View attachment 106584View attachment 106585

From the image 106585 it looks like the bearing above the adjusters has stopped rotating looks like a step has worn into it from the blade that would need replacing or refacing, you also need to look under the table what state the guide is in there.
The wheels look to have plenty of rubber on them and would make a good machine once you have done the work.

From the image 106585 it looks like the bearing above the adjusters has stopped rotating looks like a step has worn into it from the blade that would need replacing or refacing, you also need to look under the table what state the guide is in there.
The wheels look to have plenty of rubber on them and would make a good machine once you have done the work.
Thanks Phil ..The bearing you mention is held on a shaft that doesnt extend far enough forward to touch the edge of the blade .. Wouldthere/Should there be a piece attached to the front of it ? A pressed on Cap or something ?

Thanks Phil ..The bearing you mention is held on a shaft that doesnt extend far enough forward to touch the edge of the blade .. Wouldthere/Should there be a piece attached to the front of it ? A pressed on Cap or something ?

It looks like it should move forward to get close but not touching the back of the blade, unscrew the little screw on the side and turn the rear screw to wind it forward if it does not move put some WD40 on it to get it going, it should not have any cap on it as you see the relief cut out so there is only the outer edge of that bearing touches the blade when you are cutting, if there is a cut in the bearing plate that will need facing off or replacing
Don't forget to look below at the lower guide.

Everything for that model has been discontinued

To set the guides the set of the teeth needs to be proud of the side supports and the back of the blade needs to just be just kissing the back roller, the roller should be mounted in oilite bushes, they may have dried up

Back